Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1954 Dodge pickup truck C1-B6 and I need to know how to remove the axles to replace the inner rear seal because its leaking. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
I believe MAC tools has the puller to do it. There is a topic with a picture of the puller, which is like a tripod with three places for lug bolts/nuts to be attached to the base and then a bolt and a hammerhead piece that attaches to the end of a bolt that will be tightened against the axle end. You use a sledge hammer to tighten the drum puller, then you use a wheel puller to pull the axle from the housing.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Link to earlier discussions.

http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/121233-56-plymouth-rear-drum-removal-tool/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much now when I install it again is there anything that I should know. And this design is very unique not to have any c clips in the rear holding the axles in. Thanks

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
It is a tapered bearing assembly and there are end play specs. That keeps the bearings running practically forever and keeps the seal in proper relationship. You may need to make shims to adjust the end play. Cups are set with the tapered face inward. Add shims to the flat back of the cup to decrease clearance. I would check the end play before I pull the retainer to see if it needs adjustment so that the seal does not get disturbed by the shimming process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts