Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after spending big bucks on a carburator that sat on a shelf for 50 years new in box, machining the cylinder head to correct a blown head gasket and replacing the crankshaft pully and timing cover the project on my 54 Savoy came to an anti-climactic end.
Looks like the block is warped after the head gasket failed in the same spot so I have quality parts available that I'll be listing on ebay. It just feels wrong scrapping everything considering the hell I went through trying to find this stuff.

So....I have everything from a straight hydrive transmission to a really hard to find Carter B&B carb with auto choke. Oil bath, timing cover, pulleys..etc.

Let me know if you need anything

Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Try the HAMB; they're extremely hardcore concerning Old School stuff...............it's www.jalopyjournal.com/

·
Chyrsler Historical Buff!!
1,892 Posts
So why are you scrapping everything due to a warped block? That should be relatively easy to obtain to replace the defective one. ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just been a futile effort with this car. I have spent so much money and seem to take two steps back every time I make a repair. Putting a small block in and done with it. Incredibly frustrating.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If the deck of the block is out of shape talk to a shop about getting it decked or planed. Not sure how far you can go with the flathead but I seem to remember they could take quite a bit of shaving and still be fine. Of course it is frustrating, money goes out and never seems to end, the car seems like it will never be done. I am still putting the finishing touches on my 68 GTX and that has been a year and a half of constant work. If you really value the car and have a dream of the finished project due what you can to see it through. At the end of the day it can be worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is this car equipped with the HyDrive torque converter that shares its oil with the engine or is it separately
filled with oil? Is the transmission a manual shift 3 speed or the Tip-Toe Gyromatic ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts