Allpar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

My 1955 Dodge Custom Royal hasn’t been on the road since 1990, all the brakes were locked up and needing a complete overhaul.
After cleaning and reinstalling all, backing plates, new shoes, brake cylinders, etc..
Wondering why I can’t seem to get the drums back on?
I under the concept of centering the shoes to the axle. I haven’t placed the Ammco 1750 on yet but
everything is backed off and should be at its least amount of shoe diameter. Major adjustment arrows are lined up correctly and minors are backed all the back.
Brake drums have been turned.
I have seen a post about different Wheel cyl piston rod length's??
Wondering, I’m using my old slotted rods with newaftermarket cyl’s from one of the main vintage mopar parts companies.
Anyone else experience this?

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
It's possible with the multiple points of adjustment to have the shoes set to the correct diameter but have the circle of the shoes not concentric with the axle. I know I did that with my '55 Plymouth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems so.
Last time I had it apart was in 89. Didn’t have any issues getting her back together then. Probably just jumping to conclusions after playing with it for only 15 minutes.
I’ll set the gauge on it and confirm this.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,139 Posts
Any time you change shoes on a Lockheed style brake, you take a chance that the anchor cam (eccentric) bolts may need to be reset. A very unusual but possible issue could be wrong thickness lining could have been installed. That is why the special tool was created.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any time you change shoes on a Lockheed style brake, you take a chance that the anchor cam (eccentric) bolts may need to be reset. A very unusual but possible issue could be wrong thickness lining could have been installed. That is why the special tool was created.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Isnt the right excentric turned to max outwards?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,250 Posts
The wheel cylinder pushrods (Mopar #1140067) should all (F+R) be the same except for H.D. 12" drum and Imperial disc brakes.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Poster Rim

Font Rectangle Number Parallel Brand

1 - 9 of 9 Posts