Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problem putting rear window in. Had 3 window guys try they could not install it either. Any suggestions? Any tricks? (2 door savoy club coupe)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Same problem on my '56 Belvedere hardtop. I fought it for weeks and finally hired an expert to help. The seal was new from Steele Rubber and the glass is the original, but the combined sizes don't match. The expert had to shim the glass groove, and the glass and seal don't completely fill the opening, but the glass was finally in place. To make a long story short, I finished installing the stainless trim to lock the seal, but it looks crappy and the expert wanted nothing more to do with the mess.

If interested, I can post a link to my blog that shows all the things I tried and what the final result looks like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same problem on my '56 Belvedere hardtop. I fought it for weeks and finally hired an expert to help. The seal was new from Steele Rubber and the glass is the original, but the combined sizes don't match. The expert had to shim the glass groove, and the glass and seal don't completely fill the opening, but the glass was finally in place. To make a long story short, I finished installing the stainless trim to lock the seal, but it looks crappy and the expert wanted nothing more to do with the mess.

If interested, I can post a link to my blog that shows all the things I tried and what the final result looks like.
Gary,
Thank you for info. I think my problem is a little different. Like you my glass is original, but my seal fit the opening it acts as the gasket is to long or to short. I had one gasket that I cut up because of an interior problem . I will cut some out of it and try to figure out whats what. I called Steele asked about this and they had no-one call about this type problem.
I have a parts list of Chrysler products from 1955 to 1958. My car is a club coupe and yours is what they call a special club coupe
they have different part numbers for those seals. Steele used part no.1591263for their pattern.The part number for your car is
beige 1707146
black 1592520 . Imagine two different colors. Huh!!! I think the roof line is different making the seals different.
Thanks again will keep you posted on my results.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The only physical difference I've found between the different part numbers is that the seal for premium models has a slit in which the stainless surround is secured. I believe the dimensions relevant to the window glass and sheet metal opening are the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts