Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
This is a thread where I'm going to document my adventure with my very first mopar. I'll do my best to log everything I discover, sources for parts, issues, solutions, etc. I welcome any advice, thoughts, recommendations & comments in general. Thanks in advance for any education you can give me!
I'll start it off with the bringing-it-home story:

When my buddy and I arrived to look at it for the first time, we fell in love. The car looked even better than the pictures online.
We walked about and checked for any rust and couldn't find any.
It started up no problem, and idled decently. It had a bit of a burble to it, but the previous owner said he didn't really know how to get the carb dialed in. The exhaust smelled a bit like fuel so we figured it was running rich.

The car did stumble and stall out when pulling it forward to the trailer initially, but it seemed to do alright with slow & smooth throttle.

After getting the car home, we reset the carb to a typical baseline setting. I drove it around the block just to see how it did; it was an absolute joy and despite not having a ton of power the 270ci sounds great and the 2 speed powerflite shifts smoothly. It didn't stumble much at all. The brakes are a bit spongy and do pulse a bit.

That's all for now, I'll leave you all with a few pics my buddy snapped right after coming home. Coming up shortly is a post about the results of my first going-to-town drive.

Cheers!

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle Tire

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update 1: Going to Town
A pleasantly cool afternoon spurred my decision to take the Plymouth out a few miles to the store to grab a few things with the wife.
The first thing I noticed was I received no response when turning the key to ignition, after jostling it for a moment the car turned over and grumbled to life without further hesitation.
After warming it up for a couple minutes, we cruised over to the store without any significant events.

Starting up the car again on the way back was fine, but the car sputtered and stalled out after pulling forward a couple of feet.
After starting it again and using low gear to get rolling, the car pretty harshly stuttered for a few moments before smoothing out.
About halfway back to the house, pulling out from a stop the car hesitated and stalled again. Taking off again, and with the car jerking again a bit, I was greeted with something I hadn't yet seen the car do; a flickering oil light, with a bit of smoke along with it.

Trying not to panic, I pulled onto a quiet side road to investigate. The dipstick read a sufficient running level of oil, and no major source of smoke was visible, so I quickly shot the rest of the way home. I had better luck starting the car in low gear from a stop, and slowly rolling onto the throttle, before popping it into drive and letting it shift into second gear.

After arriving home, I climbed under the hood again to investigate. I re-checked the oil, which did read at the full level. The car was not noticeably hot, the radiator hoses were all hot to the touch, indicative of proper coolant flow. (Unfortunately, the temp gauge currently does not function.) I'm wondering if the oil light is the result of an electrical gremlin, or if I really did develop an oil pressure problem.

On the subject of oil, the valve cover gaskets appear to be leaky, which as it seeps onto the exhaust manifolds I assume to be the cause of the smoke I saw.

It does continue to not idle perfectly smoothly, I'm going to check the plugs to see if it's missing on a cylinder or two.

I will be checking all the spark plugs and inspecting the wires this week to check for fouling & wear.

TD;DR this is the current to-do list for this week & coming weekend:

1. Inspect spark plugs for fouling
2. Inspect spark plug wires
3. Check condition of oil
4. Check coolant levels
5. Find a place to get new valve cover gaskets
6. Buy a shop manual for the car

That's all for now, I'll update again once I have some results from my investigating
Cheers!

Pictured below: The rather dirty engine bay

Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update 2: Spark Plug Inspection
It was wonderfully cool out, a major relief from the hot day, so I decided to take a look at all the spark plugs.
Here are the results:
Plant Font Travel Communication Device Adaptation

I noted in the service manual, on page 122:
Font Art Circle Number Paper product

So I'm thinking these may be okay?

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The catalog lists AR80 which is an Autolite/Motorcraft. It crosses to a Champion J-11Y. I trust the updated Champion listing more.
Back then, you could pick between a large selection of hot or cold plugs. Probably because of wider fuel quality differences and/or fouling issues.
View attachment 89422

View attachment 89420

Looking through what's available on Rock Auto, they do carry the Champion RJ18YC plugs, along with a few other options.
What do you think would be best?
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're doing plugs and wires, also take a good look at the distributor cap, rotor, and points.
That's next, I started with plugs and wires as I'm most familiar with them. This evening I need to educate myself on the cap, rotor & points so I know what I'm looking for

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you both for all of the info, as intimidating as it may be to my young brain I'm quite eager to learn it all - I want to take care of this car and run it properly for a very long time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A short update today, I removed the valve covers to clean up the rtv sealant the previous owner used and to put in some new fel-pro gaskets
Whoever applied the sealant previously went way overboard, even some of the valvetrain had sealant stuck to it.
That's cleaned up now, and proper gaskets are installed.
Musical instrument Grass Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Steering wheel Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

1 - 10 of 10 Posts