Allpar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first time on here. I recently purchased a 1957 600 coe and im struggling on getting basic info for parts and such.
The poly 315 in it runs great and already upgraded to dual 4 barrel intake and carbs. maybe ill get a cam in the future from which I believe I can get from another high deck hemi.
I need to get brakes for this thing and maybe even covert it to discs if that possible.
I know it has a eaton 2 speed, not sure what model because most of the identifiers have been worn down.

So if you guys can help me:
What would be a good resource for find out part numbers and such?
What rear ends did these come with?
And what could I do about the brake situation?

Any info would be appreciated thank you

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,483 Posts
Get ahold of the factory service manual & Mopar truck parts catalog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I have seen that service manual but couldn’t find a c series part catalog so I got a b series catalog that goes to 1953 that has the coe.

I think I have a 16500 Eaton rear end based off of the pictures and the faint ratio numbers of 6.1x I found.

Here are some pictures I have if anyone can help

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys first time on here. I recently purchased a 1957 600 coe and im struggling on getting basic info for parts and such.
The poly 315 in it runs great and already upgraded to dual 4 barrel intake and carbs. maybe ill get a cam in the future from which I believe I can get from another high deck hemi.
I need to get brakes for this thing and maybe even covert it to discs if that possible.
I know it has a eaton 2 speed, not sure what model because most of the identifiers have been worn down.

So if you guys can help me:
What would be a good resource for find out part numbers and such?
What rear ends did these come with?
And what could I do about the brake situation?

hope this helps
1957 Dodge Conventional Cab and COE 600 and 700 Truck Brochure

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,483 Posts
It would make sense that COE would evolve into Tilt-Cab for accessibility.
I have an undated Dodge Truck service manual from about 1970. It covers Dodge trucks built with serial numbers which last 7 digits start with xxx1872000 or xxx7086000 and Canadian trucks (Fargo) with xxx85001 or xxx25001 and higher.
They cover the Spicer 2-speed rear axle and mention electric shift and air shift variants.
Other rear axles used: Chrysler (Lt duty), Dana, Eaton and Timken (Rockwell) (HD-Tandem).
Rectangle Art Font Pattern Painting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Gas Auto part

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,468 Posts
Yup that gave me a decent amount of info. But sadly doesn’t go into specifics about the parts.

I think now I actually have a Eaton 16600 from a picture of a 1957 parts book on ebay.

If anyone has that book could you digitize it I think it’s only dodge parts book that isn’t digital.
It's probably an Eaton. It's definitely not a Rockwell/Timken.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,468 Posts
The thing that bugs me about this axle is the housing bolts. Later Eaton and Rockwell axles didn't have housing cover removal like this one. Maybe earlier Eaton's did. Rockwell made no housings with this type of cover in the 60s thru the 90s. I worked at the Rockwell plant that made rear housings. They are easily identified by horizontal welds that go from the housing cover to the spindle end. Eatons are not welded like that.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,171 Posts
Every manufacturer has its own way to create a product. Sometimes it is just the different equipment available or perhaps a new improvement in a process that changes the way a product is made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts