Allpar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempting restoration of husband's pu for surprise birthday gift. Just hit snag - front drums cracked - any idea where drums could be found, or is there some other drum that would fit? Also looking for the grill bars, letters (DODGE), front bumper, little side plate and ornament. Clearly I am novice, but working with a very knowledgeable person. The drums are a major setback so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Many good parts stores offer drums for that truck. Beware of China made stuff, though. Lots of it out there. For trim parts, try LMC Truck, or an all Mopar salvage yard in Oregon. Can't recall their name, but google "all mopar salvage".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: no longer need letters, side plate and ornaments. Still need grill bars and drums. Appreciate any help/ideas!

Thank you tazdevil! Have tried many parts stores and no one seems to have the drums I need. Can you give me any names? I will definitely contact both companies you mentioned. Thanks again!

·
Registered
651 Posts
try dodge city truck parts they will have it, they are in Ontario Canada but have a website now and ship they sell excluseivly vintage Dodge truck parts no Chevy or Ford stuff like the rest

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
jandco said:
Update: no longer need letters, side plate and ornaments. Still need grill bars and drums. Appreciate any help/ideas!
Thank you tazdevil! Have tried many parts stores and no one seems to have the drums I need. Can you give me any names? I will definitely contact both companies you mentioned. Thanks again!
We had the same issue with our 58' which is why we switched out the front ends with all of our other dodge truck projects. Anyhow we use early 70's Ford LTD front drums and modified them to work. Was impossible to find replacement OED style drums. On a side note, even with new drums, the brakes where not up to the task of stoping the truck, just a very poor setup.

I am not sure if this can be done(it should be) but if you want to stay with the straight front axle, get some front spindles from a 60's dodge D100. By then the front brakes were Bendix style and provide much better stopping power.

Just my thoughts

Reactions: BlackSheep01

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
Jaime said:
We had the same issue with our 58' which is why we switched out the front ends with all of our other dodge truck projects. Anyhow we use early 70's Ford LTD front drums and modified them to work. Was impossible to find replacement OED style drums. On a side note, even with new drums, the brakes where not up to the task of stoping the truck, just a very poor setup.

I am not sure if this can be done(it should be) but if you want to stay with the straight front axle, get some front spindles from a 60's dodge D100. By then the front brakes were Bendix style and provide much better stopping power.

Just my thoughts
I think you meant to say 'A100'. :)

But you're right; the master cylinder doesn't care what size the wheel cylinders are as along as they have about the same piston diameter.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would try very hard to find a good setup from a later model (think '72-'93) truck and do a swap-in all the way around on the brakes, just for safety's sake.
Yes, it's a PITA. But the parts *should* be affordable (www.rockauto.com) and the braking will be several orders of magnitude better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts