Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Yep, those are some beauties when cars had style and grace. :cool:
And 1k mile lube and oil change and 10k tuneup and 100k life and 40 k generator or starter. On the plus side, lots of ashtrays for smokers and an AM radio. I believe the record player option was gone for 58. However I believe swivel seats were available.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
In 1966 Ford offered the 8-track players in cars as an option. Motorola was the manufacturer.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
I didn't realize you were just referring to Mopars, Shane. I just thought it was a general question as to when they first came out! LOL

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I didn't realize you were just referring to Mopars, Shane. I just thought it was a general question as to when they first came out! LOL
No .. quite fine.. I'm just blown away by the fact that record players came in cars... I owned a 1980 Dodge Diplomat that had a 8 track.. then went through the years of tapes and recording songs on to them for long playing mostly because we had no am reception out side of town.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The original was only for two years and and played special records only available through one source. I think it was a $200 option.
$200 is a lot for such an option, that would be equal to about $1947 today.

This article seems to back up the $200 for the option:
Highway Fidelity: When Cars Came With Record Players

Here's a couple of classics with the Highway HiFi installed :cool:
1956 Plymouth Fury with Highway Hi-Fi system installed
1956 DeSoto Adventurer HiWay HiFi
1956 PLYMOUTH COMMERCIAL w/ HI-FI RECORD PLAYER
Notice when she slides the turntable into the housing, it bounces up and down several times, so it had some shock absorbing when driving down the road to prevent skipping while playing and moving.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Record player. 8 Tracks hadn't been invented yet.
Nor did you have cassette tapes available. For that matter, no one had a walkman or a boom box. But you could have had an early transistor radio late in the 50's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts