Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I am restoring my 1961 dodge dart and I would like to install a 440 with the long ram intake manifolds. I have the intake manifolds and I am looking for information on specs for building engine around these intakes. I am also missing all the other parts to make this happen and was planning on fabricating most of them if I can not find original or reproduction parts. Where should I start? Thank you for any help.

Curtis

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Welcome to Allpar, Curtis. Unfortunately, I can't help you, but I'm sure SOMEONE here will be able to help get you some information. Dana44 has a lot of experience as does Imperial Crown, just to name a couple of the sharper ones here. There are a LOT of members with experience and knowledge. I just lean on these guys along with Bob Lincoln for a LOT of help when I need it.

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
For information, your best start would probably be finding the 1961 factory service manual for full-sized Dodges, or maybe one for the 300, which should have instructions for the 413 cross-ram. The 440 engine was based on the 413, so you could probably work with that. And if you find repair information for a 383 cross-ram, that should also work, since it's also similar.

·
Premium Member
20,163 Posts

Oh, yeah, this is going to be a fun project to gather all the parts, which, without the factory manual and a few other pictures besides this simple search picture, will be fun, but difficult to locate the parts, probably a piece here or there, making a lot of them, and quite truthfully, very costly. With that, carbs can be easy enough to locate or fit, linkage is not too difficult, but the more expensive parts will be heads and exhaust manifolds to go with the intake manifolds to be a complete system. As far as the heads go, this is something you will have to verify which manifolds you have, the ports themselves, Max Wedge heads had larger ports than stock so they have to be checked. You don't want the larger ports for the cross ram intakes dumping into the heads with smaller ports, the downsize at the head will destroy drivability a lot. Some of these parts may be in the aftermarket but I have no idea where any might be located.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Ports/heads are no problem as these aren't Max Wedge related.

B/RB is no problem as the crossover tube accommodates the deck difference.

Original exhaust manifolds have a provision for carb head but could be fabricated.

No special Engine modifications needed, hydraulic lifters for obvious reasons!!

The Long Ram was devised to maximize torque in the mid range not high RPM.

Passing power in a full size, even luxury car was the priority, not drag racing.

A 440 TNT etc. would be the ideal starting point.

Keep us posted with pics!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Valued Member
2,458 Posts
Ports/heads are no problem as these aren't Max Wedge related.

B/RB is no problem as the crossover tube accommodates the deck difference.

Original exhaust manifolds have a provision for carb head but could be fabricated.

No special Engine modifications needed, hydraulic lifters for obvious reasons!!

The Long Ram was devised to maximize torque in the mid range not high RPM.

Passing power in a full size, even luxury car was the priority, not drag racing.

A 440 TNT etc. would be the ideal starting point.

Keep us posted with pics!!

Thanks
Randy
Good answer...................Don't forget a hefty driveshaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. My plan is to use a set of headers that fit the car and fabricate some supports that run from the manifolds to the exhaust. I have heard of people blocking off the heat riser tubes and we live in napa ca. so cold temperatures should not be a problem. I will check to see what heads we have on the 440 and see if they match the manifolds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For information, your best start would probably be finding the 1961 factory service manual for full-sized Dodges, or maybe one for the 300, which should have instructions for the 413 cross-ram. The 440 engine was based on the 413, so you could probably work with that. And if you find repair information for a 383 cross-ram, that should also work, since it's also similar.
Great idea. I believe my dad has the factory manual and supplement.

·
Premium Member
20,163 Posts
Any and all the big block heads fit all the engines, so that shouldn't be a problem or concern at all. The exception to this rule was the Max Wedge heads, which I mentioned, the ports are actually larger, but, as long as the ports of the intake runners are the same, as some have said, there won't be a problem with bolt patterns, mounting bolt holes, headers, valves, rockers (two styles, early heads had aluminum blocks that held the rockers, later heads had cast-in pedistals), and 1967 and earlier had small exhaust valves in the 440, but they fixed that problem in 1968. If the heads are ported, blocking off the heat riser holes in the heads (I use a square cut from the old valley pan gasket to block them off), the heat riser is definitely not needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any and all the big block heads fit all the engines, so that shouldn't be a problem or concern at all. The exception to this rule was the Max Wedge heads, which I mentioned, the ports are actually larger, but, as long as the ports of the intake runners are the same, as some have said, there won't be a problem with bolt patterns, mounting bolt holes, headers, valves, rockers (two styles, early heads had aluminum blocks that held the rockers, later heads had cast-in pedistals), and 1967 and earlier had small exhaust valves in the 440, but they fixed that problem in 1968. If the heads are ported, blocking off the heat riser holes in the heads (I use a square cut from the old valley pan gasket to block them off), the heat riser is definitely not needed.
Thank you All this info really does help the hunt to get this built correctly.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Bit of trivia, there were 2 versions of the Long Ram, long and short.

They looked just about the same but the short, Long Ram, didn't have the port runners separated as far.

Easily identified, as the exterior dividing ridge didn't go right to the carb base.

Short, Long Ram was the hi perf version.

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
20,163 Posts
Thanks Randy, this goes with the port dimensions I was talking about, requiring the larger port heads, and these babies aren't that common, ports are nominally .250-.350 larger in both directions, and with port size, that's a lot.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The port end of the intakes are the same, just the internal separation wall is shorter with the short version.

Long is divined up to the carb base, short removes the internal divider from about half way to the carb base.

Long Ram gives Maximum torque, short gives up some torque for higher RPM H.P.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Long were the most popular and plentiful.

I believe the short were often accompanied with solid lifters and no automatic choke.

Some used carb base water heat rather than ex manifold hot air.

Many different variations over the years!!

Are you going for a specific, exact, original look or just the look??

Thanks
Randy

the set we have are definately long rams i went out and double checked

1 - 16 of 16 Posts