Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
A few friends and I are working on a project 1961 Plymouth Belvedere. We just got the drums off and have installed all new shoes in each corner. We are lost when it comes to adjusting the shoes to get the drums on. It looks like instead of a typical star wheel the Plymouth has adjusting cams in the back of the drum. However, when we tried to break them loose they were seized on and rounded off. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or that will help break the adjusting cams loose. I also read that you could buy a special tool for this job but I have yet to find any. Any response is appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. We have the 1961 Plymouth Service Manual Supplement to use, but not the 1960 service manual. If anyone knows a good place to find that/buy that online please let us know.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The cams will have to be freed. A foaming graphite rust penetrant like Mopar heat valve penetrant works well.
64912d1501337324-look-what-i-bought-100_1731.jpg
Moderate heating with a sudden cold shock (water spray bottle) might help break them free.
You want to adjust the shoes out until they just contact the inside of the drum.
The brakes were known as 'Total Contact', with a wheel cylinder reaction anchor (plate) that pushed both the top and bottom of the shoes against the drum. Everything must move freely. See chapter 5 here for similar brakes:
1960 & 1961 Chrysler & Imperial Service Manual

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the late reply, we were able to get the cams free with some moderate heating. A quench with a water bottle and some Irwin bolt grip sockets worked grand. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
-Jack

·
Registered
726 Posts
If they're like what's on my '55, they're a real pain in the a$$ to get set without the proper tool. If, like my '55, they have four adjustment cams, it's possible to get the diameter correct, but not concentric with the axle. See my thread on the '55 Plymouth and you'll see what I did to make my own tool to get the shoes set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts