Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been around here for a long time. Other interests, work, lots of things get in the way.

I'm afraid my brother Dennis is close to losing his fight with cancer. It sucks; he's only 53. We're getting really tired of burying family, as most of them died far too young.

But I'm not here for sympathy.

Dennis has a car in his garage that's been in the family since about 1965. It's a '62 Chrysler Newport 4-door. Not a particularly rare or valuable car but the fact that it's been in the family for nearly 50 years makes it very valuable to us. It was our family truckster for years. By the time we were in high school, it was used by our sister, who drove it for a long time, including taking it to Thief River Falls, MN for a year of college. While she had it up there, my dad gave me my first experience at overhauling an automatic transmission during our annual vacation to the Land of the Chosen Frozen. By the time Shelley was done with it, I had left home so it was passed by me to my next younger brother Dennis, who has had it ever since (meaning he's had it since about 1977 or 1978). He never drove it much but thankfully, he kept it in the family.

Now, we're about to lose Dennis and he has told me that the car is mine.

So I'm starting to make some plans. Dennis has been a car guy for decades and my plan is to get the car roadworthy enough to take it out on the Hot Rod Power Tour within the next few years. I think it would be a nice tribute to him and to both of our long-gone parents.

At this point, I don't know what it's going to need. Last time I drove it (probably 25 years ago), the front end seemed pretty worn out. So I'll have to rebuild all the steering linkage, for sure. Not sure how the torsion bars are, and I haven't seen the inside of the car for a long time. The 361 is original but I do remember how miserable it was to get started when it was cold.

It's going to need a LOT of work but I really want to get this thing back up to daily-driver status.

A, B and E-body parts are easy to find. I don't know what I'm going to run into with this old C-body but there's a good chance I'll be back here from time to time looking for advice, assistance and maybe scrounging for sources of parts.

Thanks in advance.

·
Mopar starship captain
4,228 Posts
Might ask the same question over at the Forward Look site or the C-Body Dry Dock. If I remember correctly, there are some people on the Dock with some of those "in-between" cars.. The '62 in some respects is closer to a Forward Look car than a C-body which as a platform doesn't start up until 1965.

Some places like Firm Feel, PST or Just Suspension might have some things or possibly Rare Parts to get that suspension back up to spec.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Re: Dennis; just be there for him, please. He's probably scared half to death. :(

1962 Newport: I believe you can swap on a pair of 1973-89 B-F-M-J etc. body spindles to get 'factory' disc brakes. I know for a fact the upper ball joints are the same between your car and the newer models and assuming your steering arms have the same spindle to bolt hole spacing as the late arms the disc spindles should fit just fine. Master cylinder and booster; perhaps a 1970's up tandem dual diaphragm unit and its proportioning valve?

If it were me: I'd try to find a 1965 up drum to drum rear end and 'lose' that thing under your car with the tapered axles. Too; going with later 11" x 2.5" rear drum brakes would work well with the later front discs.

Engine: def go with an electronic ignition, dual exhausts and a 4 barrel carb atop a 1972-78 400-4V intake assuming it doesn't need to be rebuilt. If the motor is pooched and the tranny is shaky; you might want to go 'psycho' and swap in a 2004 up 5.7L Hemi and matching AT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts