Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded a little Suzuki GN125 for a 1963 Dart. This will be my first restoration project. Does anyone have any good sources for me to read through?

The engine runs strong and transmission seems to work well. Brakes are no good. I was thinking it might be best to convert the brakes to disks. Is this a feasible task for me to attempt or would I be better off starting by restoring the drums to working order? If i pump the pedal quickly I get a little pressure but it goes away almost instantly. The handbrake does work. I looked at the master cylinder and it looks like someone cut the lines that I assume to be the rear feed and then added a spliter to the main line. This seems sketchy to me so I assumed I would have to replace the Master Cylinder anyways.

I was also thinking about upgrading the suspension. Any recommendations on what to go with?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Until 1967, master cylinders in Mopars had only a single reservoir, so only one line running out of it, to a proportioning valve and a splitter. Your system might be stock. I would advise that you install a dual-reservoir master cylinder for safety. Disc brake conversions are possible, I've never done one. It will help a great deal. But it sounds like something is defective right now, probably the master cylinder.

Someone here will have done a conversion and can advise you. And Welcome to Allpar!

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
A 1963 shop manual will be very useful. Take pictures of everything before disassembly. Label and bag all parts. This will help greatly when putting everything back together. New brake lines are probably a good idea. My friend did the disk brake conversion on his 66 Cuda using a kit. It fit well and used all new parts. I think this is the way to go rather than used parts. The 10" drums in my 68 Cuda are adequate for my needs. The dual master cylinder upgrade is a must though. Someone on this board restored a 66 Dart convertible and did an outstanding job. Look to his old threads f0r lots of useful info.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Been there and did that. Buy the right retrofit kit and you get all the right parts, from LC arms to new lines and master cylinder. The kit I bought from MP Brakes was complete, and used B body rotors and calipers. Easy project.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Back in the 90's when I restored the Cuda, there was a magazine called High performance Mopar that chronicaled the step by step restoration of a Challenger. The series of articles was called "Project Plum Crazy". Even though it was a different car, the procedures and techniques used can be applied to any car. So if they did the brakes this month, that is what I did, next month maybe it was the interior. I folllowed along with my project month by month. One of their main points was to break things down into sub-assemblies. For example, work on the instrument panel and complete it, then do the seats, etc. This helps keep the project more manageable and gives you a sense of completion as each assembly is done. The first thing you will want to do is take a complete inventory of the car and its condition then make a schedule and budget. Take you time and have fun.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
This will work, along with any master cylinder up through 1975 or so, but there is a little work you need to do along with just the master cylinder. Get the proportioning valve, which is a brass block that has the two inlets from the master cylinder and then basically balances it for the front and rear brake lines, so two lines in and three lines out (two front lines and one rear line). You should be able to find this used, really not much to go bad with them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I strongly suggest that you get a subscription to Mopar Muscle magazine. It is loaded with vendor ads and how-to articles that will give you good sources and tips on doing things correctly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are a few places that can supply you with pre bent brake lines for your car. The entire system is only about 200-300 and takes away all the worry. A dual master cylinder for a 67 A body like a Barracuda or a dart will work for your car. get the splitter/proportioning valve. New wheel cylinders is a good idea, with new shoes. All easy to do with a decent diagram. Synthetic brake fluid if everything is new (DOT 5) In Line Tube, Fine Lines, or the Right Stuff all have pre bent brake lines for A bodies. Most prices are fairly close to each other. The Right Stuff has conversion kits for front disc brakes, as well as rear. The biggest problem with the original master cylinder is the single resevior. If you loose fluid in the resevior you lose all braking. A factory service manual is a must for do it yourself work. They are very detailed and have good pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts