Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 1964 Dodge 330 with a 318 engine. The engine was rebuilt approx. 6 years ago. It has maybe 5000 mile on it since. The only thing that's not stock in the engine is the pistons. The ridge on top of the cylinders was so big I had to bore them 30 over. Other than that it is a stock rebuild. The first 4 1/2 years it ran great, with great power, idle, gas mileage, etc. The last couple of months it started to stall at traffic lights. Now it's to the point of stalling when I slow down for the light. It used to start right back up, but now it starts hard, long crank time w/foot on floor. It ldles awful and the stalling seems to get worse the more the engine warms up.

So, I've tried replacing the carb. (three times, rebuilt and each one had different problems) distributor w/new points & cond., fuel pump (check pressure first but still replaced it). I thought maybe the intake was leaking vacuum and replaced the gasket. When I pulled the intake off I noticed that the cam seemed to be a little dry but good pressure on the guage.

I am about to pull my hair out. Does anyone have any ideas??? At this point I am thinking about pulling the engine and going thru it!
Any help would be great!! Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas. It still seems to have good power above idle, so I don't think it's the exhaust. The gas tank is new, so are the lines and the filter. When I can get it to idle warm, it doesn't seem to be flooding. I don't see any fuel dumping down the carb. I did do a compression test yesterday and the two middle cyls. on the pass. side have 105 & 115 psi but the end ones have 135 & 140 psi. The left side is all pretty even between 135 & 140 for all four. Even if the compression is really low it still shouldn't stall like it is. It is very frustrating that I can't figure it out. Keep the ideas coming though. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.