Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been in touch with the seller on this car and found out that he really doesn' t want to sell the car, but is frustrated that he can't get it running. As you can see from his pics, this is a very nice car. I'm trying to get him to come check out Allpar, but since he's a musician, he's very busy. Do you guys have any suggestions for him? I'm trying to help him out because it's just the right thing to do. Help someone who loves his old Mopar hang on to it if you can. You can relay suggestions to me and I'll relay them to Nathan. He doesn't check his email very often.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/3281370098.html

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Try a new ballast resistor; they're infamous for dying on older Mopars.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
Here would be my plan of attack:
1) If it tries top start and dies when letting off the key then it's the ballast resistor.
2) If the car doesn't try to start have him see if it fires up on a little starter fluid sprayed in the carb. If it fires then, the problem is in the fuel system. Sometimes it can be as simple as a choke that's stuck fully shut. In that case, slipping a flat screw driver in the carb so the choke doesn't close all the way will allow the car to start. Of course, they need to be careful doing this and have a fire extinguisher handy.
3) If that doesn't work the problem could be in the ignition. If the car still has points, I think I'd look there first for an ignition problem.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks guys. I did suggest the ballast resistor, hot wiring it from the batter to the coil, points and condensor and even bypassing the fuel tank by putting a line from the fuel pump into a one gallon gas can. He hasn't let me know what he's tried and what he's willing to try. Heck, I don't even know if he's pulled a spark plug and checked for fire yet. I'll realy what y'all said and maybe hear back from him in a few days. I'm still trying to get him to just join in here and keep everyone up to date.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Just bear in mind, that while a picture is worth a thousand words, a thousand pictures doesn't make up for one in-person examination.

I don't think you're causing any harm if you take it off his hands, depending on how long he's been trying and what kind of success he's having. While working on older cars is much easier than working on new ones, it's still not necessarily easy per se. You said he's a musician, he might have bought it to have a car that fits one of the music scenes in Nashville, like rockabilly, but now finds that the car is too much a burden. If he's interested in selling it and if you're willing to spend the time on it, I'd say just go get it, no more suggestions on repairs.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
The big question is how long since it's been running? Old fuel that sat in it will mess up the tank and carb.
If it ran and just recently quit that's a whole different issue than revising a long sitting car.

Looks like it was a running car. I wonder if the points are the problem and they are just set wrong?

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I had the money, I'd definitely try to get it, Tannon. The problem is that I don't have the money. I'd just like to see the dude keep it, as he really seems to love the car. If he gets back in touch, I may try to get with him in the next couple of weeks and see if I can help him out. He said he's put in new points and other things, but like Mark said, if he's not sure about setting the points on high cam, then he may not have them adjusted properly. I don't have a dwell meter to check them and I don't know if he has one or not.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
A dwell meter is very helpful, but careful measurement with a feeler gauge is fine.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I realize you're right, Bob, but without actually being able to put my hands on the car, I don't know exactly just what he has and has not tried. I've sent him all of the suggestions, but have not heard back from him yet.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay Guys, I heard from Nate and this is what he sent me. I even suggested he check all of the fuses in the fuse box. I'm running out of ideas. Here's his quote. Keep in mind that I sent all of your suggestions too.
"I tried everything youve suggested so far....but not the fuses. Hmmmm.....ill try that right now. Bottom line.....its not getting fuel. I blew out the fuel line....but it still wont come through." So, now it appears there's either a fuel pump problem, carb problem or a blockage in the fuel system. Any other ideas? I don't know if his car has a fuel vent line or return line on it or not. Any of you old school guys know?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Usually there was no return line or vent line back then. The carb had a bowl vent right to the atmosphere that opened when the throttle was opened.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Bob. I'll relay that one.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Guys, is the 66 VIP considered an B body car? Nathan is looking for a gas tank now.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
B body is Belvedere/Coronet size. I think these were C body.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The VIP is a Fury which is a C body. Even though he blew out the vent line there could be goo in the tank. If the car runs with gas directly in the carb (via garvity from a container with a hose to the fuel line) it is either bad fuel pump, or bad gas. He should smell the the tank with the gas cap off and see if it smells like varnish. That would be a dead give away. VIP's are pretty cool cars with lots of bling and upgreaded everything.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks gentlemen. I think he can get a tank from year one, but am not sure.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
A simple test would be to find a used racing "fuel cell", place it near the original fuel tank, and properly connect some fuel lines to it. If the car runs fine with that, then the fuel tank needs looked into.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great news, everyone. Nathan's VIP is back on the highway. Turns out it was really a very simple thing. Someone had installed the needle valve in the carb backwards! He says he's very grateful to all the suggestions and support from you guys and wants me to thank you all for allowing him to keep his beloved car. It's no longer for sale on craigslist. Thank goodness! Another classic mopar is staying with an owner that really appreciates what he has.

·
Mopar starship captain
4,228 Posts
If this is the guy I think it is, he's on the Plymouth Fury Facebook page. I'm surprised that so many of us C-Body Dry Dockers are also there that he didn't try that site along with Allpar. Most guys on Facebook were for him keeping the car. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts