Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a one owner car from a ranch in Montana. I'm going blind trying to find rear quarters for the wagon. Also looking to upgrade to disc brakes in front, but have the little 13" stock wheels. Any advice out there? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
There were disc brakes available on later A bodies with the 5x4in bolt pattern. My 72 Demon I owned had them. You really need to upgrade to the larger bolt pattern and with that comes all sorts of wheel options then. I know it can be done, someone on here has probably done just that. The quarter panels were known to rust out. I had a 63 wagon with the same issue and we formed new panels, but I'm sure a good steel fab shop could make much better ones then we had. Enjoy your wagon.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. You might have to find an old-school body tech that can 'make' patch panels for the rear quarters. The Valiant and Barracuda body panels I see for sale online are for 2dr and maybe 4dr cars. The wagons may be different. Join a club like WPC for resources and fellowship?

Some front disc conversion kits are out there. Jegs recommends a minimum 15" wheel, so you might have to find a matching bolt diameter with low-profile tires.
Right Stuff MDC66SD: Front Disc Brake Conversion 1960-76 Mopar A-Body (Barracuda/Dart/Duster/Valiant) | JEGS (at https://www.jegs.com/i/Right-Stuff/965/MDC66SD/10002/-1 )
Complete Dodge Dart Mopar A Body Disc Brake Conversion Kit for 5x4.5 Wheels | eBay (at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Dodge-Dart-Mopar-A-Body-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit-for-5x4-5-Wheels-/172196593833#vi-ilComp )
All said and done, the complete conversion done correctly could go over $1000.
Wagons should have 10" drum brakes already. If the original brakes are kept in good working order, they should be safe for normal driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There were disc brakes available on later A bodies with the 5x4in bolt pattern. My 72 Demon I owned had them. You really need to upgrade to the larger bolt pattern and with that comes all sorts of wheel options then. I know it can be done, someone on here has probably done just that. The quarter panels were known to rust out. I had a 63 wagon with the same issue and we formed new panels, but I'm sure a good steel fab shop could make much better ones then we had. Enjoy your wagon.
Thanks so much! Pretty new at this...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've purchased two: one from Classic Industries [recently] and the other from Laysons [ years and years ago].
2 door hardtop 63 though, but worth investigating Classic Industries.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
You will also need the master cylinder, combination valve and associated steel brake lines to go with it. The PJ kit just shows the front brake hardware. It is incomplete without the disc/drum hydraulics.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
You will also need the master cylinder, combination valve and associated steel brake lines to go with it. The PJ kit just shows the front brake hardware. It is incomplete without the disc/drum hydraulics.
They do have other kits that have everything, I should have put that link.

Reactions: ImperialCrown
1 - 11 of 11 Posts