Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Dodge Charger Hemi 4 speed
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 Charger with bendix 4 piston disc brakes, which I removed and rebuilt with new pistons, rubber gaskets. I also had rebuilt my front end. Now I have put the front end together and when I tried to install my bendix calipers, I couldn't remember the way to attach the bracket that holds the brake line and connects to the disc. So I look in my service manual and one image is all that is shown and frankly, it lacks any detail that I can see.

So I am ssking the Forum if anyone has a description wit a drawing of how this is to be assembled on each front disc.

I have attached a photo of the part I am referring to. I also attached a photo of my wheel hub before I took it off the car. I should have taken a photo of the back side.

Look forward to some answers, input to installing the caliper correctly.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,718 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Sometimes the Mopar parts catalog has a better view of what you're working on than the service manual.
1967 Mopar Parts Book

Font Parallel Technology Illustration Art

Automotive tire Font Audio equipment Parallel Slope

White Line Font Parallel Auto part

Reactions: Fast Eddie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response but I have all of those illustrations. Nowhere in that illustration does it show how that bracket fits onto the caliper or does that bracket fit onto the back of the hub assembly?

·
Super Moderator
22,718 Posts
I noticed that too. So i went to the 1968 service manual and found them. The brackets may have been a 1967½ running change or more likely, a publishing omission.
There is a Lt and Rt side bracket. I googled Mopar 2852031 and 2852032.
These images may give you an idea of the bracket positions. I hope this helps.

Font Circle Auto part Parallel Illustration

Font Parallel Number Pattern Music

Gesture Font Motor vehicle Photo caption Auto part

Gesture Font Elbow Happy Brand

Reactions: Fast Eddie

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
FWIW, the bleeder screws need to be top and inboard so they will let all the air out and can be reached to bleed.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Super Moderator
22,718 Posts
As shown in the image. The caliper mounting bolts (orange arrows) are located closer to the spindle. The hose bracket bolts are (yellow arrows) located more outboard.

Organism Gesture Line Font Motor vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I see the location, on my bendix calipers, see attached photo, the bolt that fits into that slot is a larger bolt than the bracket.
Motor vehicle Wood Art Hood Gas

·
Super Moderator
22,718 Posts
The bracket bolts look much smaller than the caliper through-bolts.
Are those the correct through-bolts? Or should they have a tapped hole in the center of the bolt head to fasten the bracket bolts into?
That is what I think after looking at these images.

P.S. - If you were to drill and tap these big bolts, they are likely hardened and you would want to use a drill press for correct centering and depth of the holes.

Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Number

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for sending me the photos of the Bendix caliper. Yes there are a couple of those bolts with the threaded hole in the center which I placed in the wrong position evidently. I will take another look at how I bolted my calipers together and move the two drilled out bolts to the ends and fasten the bracket. Tell me which side of the car takes which caliper? In other words which side does the caliper with the drilled out bolts go on?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
797 Posts
Looks like I got some learning to do: Are those 4 piston calipers a factory option? I thought a better brake set-up for the old cars would've been a dual piston: a 4 piston as a factory option would really amaze me, to be honest with you!

·
Super Moderator
22,718 Posts
They were early front disc brakes and were optional. They used front drum brakes on most regular domestic cars until about 1973. Chrysler used Bendix, Budd and Kelsey-Hayes as vendors:

The 1950-1954 high-end Chryslers and Imperials had optional Ausco-Lambert rear disc brakes. The fronts were still drum.
The pads were mounted on a 'cammed' disc inside a 'clamshell' drum. It used wheel cylinders to actuate the cams to push the pad plates outward against the insides of the 'clamshell' rotor:

lambert.htm

Reactions: World14

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
797 Posts
They were early front disc brakes and were optional. They used front drum brakes on most regular domestic cars until about 1973. Chrysler used Bendix, Budd and Kelsey-Hayes as vendors:

The 1950-1954 high-end Chryslers and Imperials had optional Ausco-Lambert rear disc brakes. The fronts were still drum.
The pads were mounted on a 'cammed' disc inside a 'clamshell' drum. It used wheel cylinders to actuate the cams:

lambert.htm

Good to know! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The shop manual for our 1953 Custom Imperial said the Crown Imperial used 4 wheel internal expanding disc brakes. Those Charger Disc brakes remind me of the ones our 1966 Polara had.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Looks to me like the caliper in your photo would be the driver side caliper. I'm basing my hypothesis on the photo that Imperial Crown posted in post #4 three days ago. I know, I'm late to the party.

·
Super Moderator
22,718 Posts
The image is of the LF disc brake. Either caliper can be used as a Lt or Rt side unit. The part # is the same for both sides as they are symmetrical castings.
The bleeder screw and fluid jumper tube just swap positions to accommodate which side it is on.

Sculpture Creative arts Art Wood Auto part

Reactions: valiant67
1 - 20 of 21 Posts