Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 1968 Dodge A-100 pickup, last summer I dropped a 360stroked to 408 in it with a 750 edelbrock. This summer I got the truck running great, then my neighbor suggested I try his holley 750 on it for a comparison, I know the holleys are said to give more performance, I went with the edlebrock because I am not going to be racing the truck every day. Anyways after putting the holley on I decided it was not worth the money for it and put my edlebrock back on. Since then I have had nothing but fuel issues, as in not getting any to the carb. First run with the edelbrock back on I drove for about 3 miles until I stalled, the clear plastic fuel filter right before the carb was empty. So I replaced the steal inline filter before the pump, with no success. I then pulled the fuel sending unit and took the fuel sock off, thinking that could be glogged, I got some success with that, as I made it about 10 miles before I pumped the system dry again. I then took the fuel pump off, and bench tested it, without gauges, but could tell there should be ample pressure. I then tried blowing the lines, and found that blowing the line back into the tank I was not hearing bubbles, as in the pickup was not submerged, There is about 5-7 gallons of gas in the tank, so that should not be the issue, I put a new fuel sock on the pickup in the tank, and that seemed to correct the problem again, I drove about 3 miles before the lines went dry again. I am not completely lost as to what the issue might be. The vent of the gas door is functioning properly. It is the original fuel system, I plan on dropping the tank this winter and cleaning that up, but I am trying to get the last month of driving before dropping the tank. Its the original 5/16 pickup, and a new mechanical fuel pump. I plan on replacing the mechanical with an electrical one this winter.

Any one have any ideas of what could be going on with this? I am at a complete loss.

Thanks Joe

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I would go ahead and drain the tank, clean it out. If it makes a little bit of difference, it seems to be the constant that hasn't been fully addressed. It isn't that difficult to drop the tank, seems like you have all the other items under control. 5/16ths inch line replaced with 3/8ths would be a good idea, too, and being a truck, a lot easier to get under there and swap it out. To check if it is tank vent vacuum problem, run it until she dies, then listen for the suction on the cap when you open it as quickly as possible after she shuts off. If it sounds like a vacuum suction when you open it, try driving her again with the cap cracked a little bit and see what that does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts