Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,im new here,i recently purchased a one owner 1970 duster 340 with 49,000 original miles,it was purchased new by a 66 year old grandmother,who drove just a couple miles to bingo and the grocery store a couple times a week,she quit driving at 82 years old,the car sat for a couple more years,in 1990 she passed away and a great nephew got the car,he put it in his garage and there is sat for over 20 years,the car is loaded with options,including A/C!!,its a b5 ext,white interior,white vinyl top.Anyways,ive pulled the drivetrain,put the body on a rotissarie,inspecting the block revealed numbers matching motor,however,when i was checking up on the heads,i noticed one head is a U head and the other head is an O head,the older man who owns are local machine shop said hes heard of mopar running out of parts before and using other parts,when we pulled the heads off at his shop,he said he was sure that my head gaskets were original,then he checked out my valves he said they are large 2.02 valves,The cast date on my 340 block is 1-6-70,the numbers on my U head are 3418915 B the cast date on it is 01-14-70 the numbers on my O head is 3418915 B or D and the cast date on that one is 11-24-69,shouldnt my car have X heads on it,I talked the the great nephew and he talked to some other of his relatives and know one remembers louise having any issues at all with the motor,and he 100% assured me that it had never been apart before,It had been to the local chrysler dealer once a year for its oil change,and one tune-up in 1986,(all that was in the glovebox!!,and at the tune-up invoice in 1986 it has the mileage at 47,936 miles the nephews grand mother is still alive and she doesnt remember any problems her sister had with the car,do these factory mismatched head make the car more valueable or less valueable,should i keep the heads on the car,im doing a rotissarie resto,or should i get a set of X heads,or should i get a set of aluminum heads for the car,thanks for any comments or info in advance ALSO does anyone know the cc size of these heads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also i was expecting to have the 340 block bored,but guess what it surprised the machinist and myself,it was within specs,and he only had to hone it,he put STD SRP pistons,with eagle rods in it,i would like approx 400-425 hp out of it,will my stock original carb support that,and what camshaft do you guys suggest

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
The casting numbers are the same even though the lettering is different. Had the valves themselves been different size, then I would be worried, not sure of the cc dimensions.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
I don't think it is going to make a difference, the fact the two heads are 915 castings and within the build date of the car itself is more than enough to make it worth more than a cobbled together car. The letter is a casting and although it is a letter to look for on the outside, it is a preference letter to help identify the heads, but not necessarily the only letter for a performance 2.02 heads, because there are also the J heads, and evidently a few other letter codes that contain the valves. Having a documented numbers matching, never altered car is worth more, always, mismatches don't necessarily make it worth more, just unique.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turns out i think somehow at the factory that day the floor supervisor probably had a few extra TA heads to get rid of,these are 100% original and stock to the engine,I would appreciate a little help from some of the experts or senior members on decoding my fender tag,is my 340 duster fully loaded with all options?thanks again

YO5 EN2
M21 N41 R11 V5X V8X
C16 C55 G31 G33 H51 L31
V1W AO1 AO4 A62 A88 B51
EB5 L6BW EB7 4O1 247721
E55 D32 VS29 HOB 295887

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
This is what I was able to decode. Another site said HOB was 340 / 70 / Hamtrack which disagrees wuith My MOPAR.

HOB:
Unknown
Unknown
Unknown
295887: Unknown
Los Angeles, CA, USA
: Sequence number
E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
EB5: Bright Blue Metallic Exterior Color
L6BW: Trim - Low, Vinyl Bucket Seats, White/Blue
EB7: Medium Blue Metallic Int. Door Frames
4O1: Build Date: April O1
247721: Order number
V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
A01: Light Package
A04: Basic (Radio) Group
A62: Rallye Instrument Cluster Package
A88: Interior Decor Group
B51: Power Brakes
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55: Bucket Seats
G31: OS RH Manual Standard Mirror
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
N41: Dual Exhaust
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
Y05: Build to USA Specs
EN2: End of Sales Codes

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Did you find the build sheet, between the springs and cushion under the back seat.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
O & J heads all the same, as long as they are "915" heads, they are correct. Most Js were 360 heads with 1.88 intakes, but are the same as the "340" 2.02 heads. The 68-70 340 X heads were # 2531894. The 71-72 340-360 heads were #3418915 (as were the T/A Heads). The 73-74 340-360 heads were # 3671587.
As someone said, the engine builder just picked up what was in the storage bin, as long as it was a 915 it was ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts