Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has been driven frequently in the summers and well taken care of since 1991. Only driven for about a month last summer until she died on us at a stop sign. Then we could only get the engine to turn over but not start. Brought her to a mechanic this summer who advised us to change the ballast resistor. This solved the problem so that the car would start but then we were having carburetor problems (wouldn't hold an idle). Bought the car to the mechanic who installed a manual choke so that the car could hold an idle. Mechanic also replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Car drove great for a week. Started up better than I can ever remember it doing. Then, after a week, car once again would turn over but not getting a spark and therefore wouldn't start. Brought the car back to the mechanic. Mechanic changed the ignition module, cleaned most of the wires, added a new ground. Car started up beautifully. Now we've had her home for 3 days and once again is turning over great but won't start.

I'm assuming the problem is in the electronics and the wiring but what could it be? I can't really afford to pay the mechanic for a third time in three weeks. It was my dad's car from '91 until he passed away in 2011. He took great car of it and drove it consistently every summer. I'm new to maintaining this car on my own but I feel like if it were something that happened this frequently I would know about.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
647 Posts
you need to determine first if your problem is related to fuel or spark the best way to do this is disconnect the coil ignition lead going from the coil to the distributor cap at the cap, hold it against a good ground,(like the engine block) best to use some insulated pliers here then have an assistant crank the engine over, do you have spark? if so plug the wire back into the cap and disconnect one of the leads going to one of the cylinders and try again but the spark will be less frequent here as it will only fire as the cyl reaches power stroke, if you still have spark here then you may have a fuel problem, try this first.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!
I would recommend just getting a spark tester. You can shock yourself pretty good with the "ground the coil to the block" approach. Secondary voltages on cars run somewhere in the neighborhood of 20kV (yes, kilovolts), and, while you probably won't die from sticking your finger too close, that's a mistake you'll only make once. I got bitten by my Spirit once, and the instinctive jerk of my hand drove it into some sharp engine part. There was blood and some words were said, and I decided never to do that again. You can also damage electornics by holding the ground wire too far away from the block. A spark tester will also let you view the quality of the spark. It should be fat, blue and make a sharp snapping sound. This can give you an indication of how well the coil is performing.

A really quick check would be to pour a little gas in the carburetor. If the engine fires, you do have spark, and there's something wrong with the fueling system, either the lines, pump(s), filter, or carburetor.

Let's see some pictures of this baby! I've always thought that the 1970 cars were some of the most attractive cars ChryCo ever built.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts