Allpar Forums banner

1970 dodge dart swinger

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  GoManGo0406 
#1 ·
I'm looking for parts for a 1970 swinger it currently has no engine. i have no idea what transmission it has. Im looking for a 357 stroker to put into it please help me

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Look at the bellhousing and determine if the starter location is above the center on the passenger side, or low on the driver's side. The first would be a transmission for a slant 6 225, the latter would be a small block V8 (318, 340 or 360). The slant 6 transmission will be a 904 automatic, and won't fit a V8. Next thing to be concerned with then would be the rear end being strong enough for a stroker V8 application. From there we go with the pan shape to determine if it is indeed a 904 or a 727, and you can find out which one it is looking online for the gasket shape of the pan itself.

If the transmission is a manual (you forgot to mention auto or manual), the bellhousing can be swapped to a V8 one if it is indeed a slant 6 bellhousing. To determine if it is a manual 3 or 4 speed transmission, 2 rods on the side is a 3spd manual, 3 rods is a 4spd transmission.

Hope this helps to start with.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Look at the bellhousing and determine if the starter location is above the center on the passenger side, or low on the driver's side. The first would be a transmission for a slant 6 225, the latter would be a small block V8 (318, 340 or 360). The slant 6 transmission will be a 904 automatic, and won't fit a V8. Next thing to be concerned with then would be the rear end being strong enough for a stroker V8 application. From there we go with the pan shape to determine if it is indeed a 904 or a 727, and you can find out which one it is looking online for the gasket shape of the pan itself.

If the transmission is a manual (you forgot to mention auto or manual), the bellhousing can be swapped to a V8 one if it is indeed a slant 6 bellhousing. To determine if it is a manual 3 or 4 speed transmission, 2 rods on the side is a 3spd manual, 3 rods is a 4spd transmission.

Hope this helps to start with.
I think the car was made into a everyday driver along with a dragster

#3 ·
What exactly is a 357 stroker? I've heard of the popular 318 to a 390, 340 to a 416, or a 360 to a 408 combo. In fact, still have a '72 360 bare block I've been toying with making a 408 but looks like I may have to part with that, as plans have changed with wife being sick lately. My first (favorite) car was a '70 Swinger, and a 408 in one, with a 2,500 rpm convertor and a 3.55 8 3/4" rear is a killer street combo.

#5 ·
Welcome to Allpar. One of my favorite cars was a green with white top 70 Swinger I had. 318 automatic car with a bench seat. I had Keystone Klassics and B.F. Goodrich T/A Radial white letter tires on it. Dual exhaust with glass pack mufflers. It had a rear main seal leak and I was working 80 hours a week trying to get my delivery business going strong. Girlfriend was driving it back and forth to college every day 80 mile round trip. I asked her to check the oil every day and kept 4 quarts in the trunk. She NEVER checked it or added to it and a week later when I finally had a chance to go over to her apartment and check it, the dip stick was dry! I added 3 quarts and started it and it knocked very badly. I traded it in for a 79 Ram 150 and regretted it ever since.

#6 ·
Mine was a '70 318 Hemi Orange with a black vinyl top, black bench seat interior. I also had duals put on, running Goodyear RWL and Cragar SS wheels. While I never had an oil leak, I used to go through motor mounts about once every year and a half. 😂 It got to the point that I could change a pair of mounts in about 45 minutes! I would just pull her into one of the lower dock bays at work, and using a forklift with a heavy chain bolted to the motor, lift each side one at a time. Toyed with the idea of dropping in some 340 solid mounts, but figured it'd be too much vibration. Took that car on many vacation trips during the 5+ years I owned it. Only options I wished it had were A/C and a better Sure-Grip rear with maybe a set of 3.23s instead of the 2.76s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.