Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4BBL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am wondering if my 383 N code 4BBL in my 71 Sport Fury is considered a "super commando" or just "commando" and why? Found very different opinions on sites like this : https://www.automobile-catalog.com/...ardtop_super_commando_383_v8_torqueflite.html and just want to know whats right to get the right air cleaner lid for it. Maybe somebody knows it for sure and can explain why and what.

Thanks in advance,

Fabian

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I believe there were only two 383s for ‘71.
Commando V8 was the 2bbl. and Super Commando V8 the 4bbl.
440s are Super Commandos also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
73370[/ATTACH]
1085244298, member: 27613"]
I believe there were only two 383s for ‘71.
Commando V8 was the 2bbl. and Super Commando V8 the 4bbl.
440s are Super Commandos also.
Thanks for your opinion . I just checked the pad on the passenger side and even got the HP stamping instead of just an H what indicates just a 4bbl . So I guess my lid with super commando is even more right with the HP stamped ?

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,757 Posts
Two-barrel 383 was a big “economy” engine. Four-barrel was performance. Not sure about 1971 but in earlier years there was a regular-cam 383 and a performance-cam 383, both four-barrels, as well. I wish I could remember which years had which engine marketing... but I'd be sure you have the performance-cam 383.

·
Valued Member
2,348 Posts

·
Valued Member
2,348 Posts
Thanks Eddy I found that date page for B-Body engines (my guess is for the years 68-70) too. But the thing is I do have a C-Body Sport Fury with that 1971 HP stamped 383 4BBl and still wondering ........but thanks for your input.
The 71 brochure just shows 2 - 383" engines. Don't remember if they pit the Commando air cleaner lid on them.
1971 Plymouth Fury-20.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
correct .And my4bbl as super commando . But I really can’t confirm that with other sources . But maybe I just take it as prove and don’t overrate that whole thing . Got hp stamped block 4bbl carb from factory and hp manifolds so there is a bigger chance it’s more a super commando than a commando . I guess ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mom's 68 Fury III w/ 383 2BBL had Commando V8 on the front fenders as part of the side trim. My 68 Fury III conv w/318 had a blank in the same area of the side trim.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I've told this story a hundred times about back in the 1970's!

I had a 1970 Fury sedan with a stock 383 4 bbl, automatic.

Another guy had the same car with a 440 4 bbl, automatic.

I think they were buth ex cop cars, highway ghost cars back then.

Plain jane sedans with Engine numerals proudly on the hood bumps.

I was jealous of his 440 and stayed away from him street racing.

However, one night we met on a long straight stretch of highway.

We passed each other back and forth until both were wide open.

My 383 went a few mph faster down that long down hill stretch.

Nothing matches the frantic sound of a stout B/RB at full tilt!!

Fond memories of youthful encounters!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've told this story a hundred times about back in the 1970's!

I had a 1970 Fury sedan with a stock 383 4 bbl, automatic.

Another guy had the same car with a 440 4 bbl, automatic.

I think they were buth ex cop cars, highway ghost cars back then.

Plain jane sedans with Engine numerals proudly on the hood bumps.

I was jealous of his 440 and stayed away from him street racing.

However, one night we met on a long straight stretch of highway.

We passed each other back and forth until both were wide open.

My 383 went a few mph faster down that long down hill stretch.

Nothing matches the frantic sound of a stout B/RB at full tilt!!

Fond memories of youthful encounters!!

Thanks
Randy
Worn out Sears Muzzlers sounded great on Mom's Fury. We put a 72 440 in her 68 when the 383 gave up :(. Added disk brakes, 24570R15's with 2.76 rear. 1st to 2nd at 50 - 60 MPH, 2nd to 3rd around 80 - 90 MPH and 120 MPH with an inch left on the pedal. Mom noticed her Fury was a little faster with the 440. LOL.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don’t remember ever seeing a 2bbl Commando 383 with an air cleaner pie plate. Just the HP engines. As late as 70 Plymouth offered at least three 383s. The 2bbl and low performance 4bbl didn’t get the air cleaner pie plate. The HP motor was basically the hotter cam Road Runner engine and std on ‘cudas. These would have the dual snorkel air cleaner and Super Commando pie plate. The lower HP 4bbl was an option on base Barracudas, Satellites and Furys and may have still been painted mopar turquoise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts