Allpar Forums banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
The American Autowire kit didn't come with any provision for the concealed headlamp door wiring. So, I took a wire out of the dimmer switch plug, cut off the crimped terminal, doubled up the wire with a signal wire for the door relay and crimped on a new double terminal. I did finish the crimp after I took the photo.
phpCH8npwPM.jpg

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
He's been working on door and trunk alignment and stripping paint. He got a look at the mess of mirror holes in the door, but welded up those I don't need. I've decided to leave the stainless trim off the tops of the doors, so he's welding in those holes too.
php8gBgGWPM.jpg
phpz2U5d0PM.jpg
phpcKJL8tPM.jpg

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Looks like you're going to wind up with as close to a new '71 Charger as you can get!
BTW have you seen Nick's Garage you tube channel? He is a master tuner/restorer based in Laval, QC and built a replica of the Kowalski Challenger in Vanishing Point. You gotta see it.....he does mostly Mopars, but some GMs and Fords as well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
After stripping, the passenger quarter was definitely showing its need of replacement. New metal is ordered, don't know how long it'll take to ship.
phpWXYrJbAM.jpg
phpWVtUuPAM.jpg
phpMkN8OLAM.jpg

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Windshield frame and drip rail I've already paid another shop to cut out and replace. Amazing the damage a vinyl top does. This is going to be one expensive paint job.
View attachment 31027 View attachment 31029
Wow, this has me dreading the repair on my Valiant. I have some Rust bubbles under the vinyl top, so i am imagining there is much more that i cant see.:(

I wonder if there is a way to prevent this from happening?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Wow, this has me dreading the repair on my Valiant. I have some Rust bubbles under the vinyl top, so i am imagining there is much more that i cant see.:(

I wonder if there is a way to prevent this from happening?
About the only way to prevent it from happening again is to seal both sides of the metal with epoxy primer. There is also some really good rust encapsulator that Eastwood has that works well. I have a couple spots I sprayed on my 39 Nash back in 1995 and sitting outside in the weather and they have weathered everything to date pretty well. Some day I will get to work on her.

Reactions: saltydog

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The work they are completing looks amazing!

Reactions: page2171

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Attesting to the quality of the most recent repaint, it's falling off the body in the wheel wells. He's got the hinge pillar stripped, epoxy primed, and hit with some base coat.
30046.jpeg
30047.jpeg
phpT1DuhePM.jpg
phpvYcWBMAM.jpg

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I'm very happy with the windshield opening repairs. Finalizing the drip rail shaving is on hold pending arrival of new quarters and the decision as to how much of them to use.
phpM7UbbCAM.jpg
phpVGItxBAM.jpg

121 - 140 of 153 Posts