Allpar Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Josh,

Welcome to the Allpar forums, I'm pretty new here also, hopefully I can help you out in some way. I found the installation instructions for the Mopar version of the MSD ready-to-run distributor here; http://static.summit...88_frm30249.pdf and the hook up looks pretty straight forward. The only electrical connections with the car (other than the tach) are a switched 12 volts that provides 12 volts with the key in the "on" position and also in the "start" position and is dead in the "off" position. Based on your post, it sounds like you have that. The 9-10 volts while cranking is normal since the starter draws so much power, but it never hurts to make sure your battery is at full charge whenever you're troubleshooting electrical problems. The second connection with the car is the ground. I would suggest that you eliminate your ballast resistor if you have one. They were used to reduce the voltage going to the original ignition system, but the MSD indicates that it needs a full 12 volts to work properly.

So, given what we know, I'd make sure that the ground connection is good. Where have you grounded it? If you have it grounded to the engine in some way, make sure that the engine is also grounded. Given that you've just rebuilt and re-installed the engine make sure that the engine grounding strap wasn't forgotten and is making a good connection with the engine block and the car body. Somehow, either through the engine/car body combination, or directly, the distributor ground connection has to be connected to the negative side side of the battery.

If all of the electrical connections are good and proper, I'd suspect that something within the distributor is malfunctioning. If that's the case, I'd give MSD tech support a call at: 1-888-673-7859 and let them have a shot at it.

Hope this helps.

Brad

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.