Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there.
I am restoring a 1973 Charger, my question is ...How difficult would it be to put in a 3rd gen Hemi in this car? Like out of a wrecked Charger or Challenger.
Can you do it at all? I would like to take the engine and convert to Carb. possibly leaving any computer out of the issue.

Has there been anyone out there do attempt this? If so, ANY insight would be appreciated.

The 400 that is in it now (I think) is pretty well shot. Maybe recon the block and begin from scratch it would be ok.

Thanks in advance,
NewParOwner

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
There are kits to make it happen, lots of changes, even the ability to convert to carb, just be willing to spend the money to do it. I am sure you can find several websites that document it, including Mopar type magazines. As far as the 400 goes, once you get the compression back to where it belongs, like in the 9:1 and above, they are a very strong engine, especially if sticking with a carb.

·
Super Moderator
36,952 Posts
And the 400 is a great candidate to build a stroker motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
My new shop will be finished soon and i hope to start digging into it all.
As it stands now, I have absolutly NO room to even go ahead and pull the engine.
So its been a hurry up and wait situation. I have actually even thought about renting a place
to put my car, my sons car and another project truck. Just really hate to waste the money on rent.
BUT if this gets postponed much longer, I will be renting.....even if its just short term.
I have been biting the bit to get my hands on this thing and begin the restore.
My son is also. he has a '71 Mustang Mach 1. And the project truck is a '70 F-100.
I have just been reluctant to start because they are ALL out in the weather.
Don't want to do more harm than good at this point.

I'll keep ya'll updated on the process.

Thanks again,
NewParOwner

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
A tarp if nothing else for now, even though I don't like them for long periods, they can help for a short term save the rent cost. The big thing is, these Chargers are getting harder and harder to locate, and if it is an original big block it has a greater value than the small block versions. I would personally hate to see it go to waste for originality or gently cut up a bit to make the change. And yes, please keep us informed on your progress.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 1973 Charger was a high production year for Chargers. Since you have a 400 I am guessing that it is a SE Brogham, which was the best seller. They are really good cars that got a bad rap from muscle car guys because they had some luxury in them. Interiors are really comfortable, and 1973 was the first year for the isolators under the front frame stubs to reduce vibration. I built the 400 out of my 73 Charger and it was a monster. I stayed with stock heads (906) and had the engine punched out 30 over, K B pistons, and Eagle rods were used. Huges sold me a great cam package with valve springs, and a Thunder series 800 CFM Eddlebrock carb topped it off with an RPM manifold underneath. I think total machine, and parts cost was somewhere around 4000.00. Sounds like a lot, but the power that the 400 with pistons the size of coffee cans was great. It was fun stuff. A modern Hemi conversion (5.7) would be pricey even if the engine comes from a donor and is cheap. You would most likely go with a modern trans, or get the swap kit for the original 727. Lots of tricky stuff, but more and more of these conversions are popping up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am hoping to start a hemi swap in my 74 charger soon. I have some info and what dana44 said is good info. It can be done, just time and money. I may post progress on mine when I get to it, that may help you out. I looked into the carb thing too....depending on what you have with your engine, I found it is actually cheaper to go with the efi by the time you figure it all out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts