Allpar Forums banner

1973 Dodge Charger engine swap question?

11311 6
Hello out there.
I am restoring a 1973 Charger, my question is ...How difficult would it be to put in a 3rd gen Hemi in this car? Like out of a wrecked Charger or Challenger.
Can you do it at all? I would like to take the engine and convert to Carb. possibly leaving any computer out of the issue.

Has there been anyone out there do attempt this? If so, ANY insight would be appreciated.

The 400 that is in it now (I think) is pretty well shot. Maybe recon the block and begin from scratch it would be ok.

Thanks in advance,
NewParOwner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
There are kits to make it happen, lots of changes, even the ability to convert to carb, just be willing to spend the money to do it. I am sure you can find several websites that document it, including Mopar type magazines. As far as the 400 goes, once you get the compression back to where it belongs, like in the 9:1 and above, they are a very strong engine, especially if sticking with a carb.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
A tarp if nothing else for now, even though I don't like them for long periods, they can help for a short term save the rent cost. The big thing is, these Chargers are getting harder and harder to locate, and if it is an original big block it has a greater value than the small block versions. I would personally hate to see it go to waste for originality or gently cut up a bit to make the change. And yes, please keep us informed on your progress.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.