Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 400ci motor with holley 2 barrel carb.
When cold with choke on high revs I put into drive, motor stalls.
When driving cold it may stall at any given moment.
When i depress the acc pedal it hesitates, sometimes backfires through the carb.

When warm, it idles and usually will not stall but still hesitates when pressing acc pedal.

Acc pump is working since I can see it squirting fuel into the barrels, even streams at the same time.
I replaced cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air filter, PCV valve, crankcase breather, most vacuum hoses.

I can think of two things: vacuum leak or bad timing?
I have a vacuum gauge but i don't know which hose to plug it into to check for steady vacuum.
I have the timing light and while i can see the mark i don't know where it should align to.

Any ideas?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
How many miles? I wonder if your timing chain has jumped a tooth...

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
When warm, it idles and usually will not stall but still hesitates when pressing acc pedal.
Bad float level. Probably needs a rebuild, maybe with a new float.

·
Super Moderator
36,951 Posts
I agree with Bob - the carb needs work. Especially if the car has sat for any length of time.
Then I'd worry about timing and the good possibility it may need a timing chain as well.

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
These 2-bbl carburetors had a knack of warping the top float cover when the wingnut was tightened. The stud only threaded into the top cover. It would cause lean stalling and pop-back.
A bridge kit was released to distribute the lifting forces of the air cleaner stud. Later carbs had the wingnut stud go down through the carb body and thread into the base plate to eliminate this problem.
If the top cover is warped, a gentle pressing in a vise may straighten it flat. A new gasket will help it reseal. Re-snug the screws after a month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. The car has about 38k original miles.
I can't hear the timing chain rattling and i'll check for the stud mount location and its condition.

If i need to rebuild the carb, where (which website) should i get a kit from?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Is that a Holley 2210 on that car? If so, Autozone has a kit for the 2210.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts