Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '75 Duster, deep sherwood green, green interior, 57,000 miles. It's mostly all original, the interior is mint, except for the lumpy, saggy, loose headliner. I've noticed that resto parts places have both a bow type fabric replacement, plus a version similar to the original fibreboard, but made of modern materials. Anyone have a recommendation as to which to get? Is it difficult to install the board type yourself?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I believe installation should be the same or very similar for both types. It is not too difficult; you have to remove the sail panels, the upper window trim, the visors, the rearview mirror, the A-pillars, the dome light, the upper seat belt mounts, and the clothes hooks if your car has them. Probably the hardest part is actually getting the board inside the car through the door openings. You will probably have to remove the front seats for this; I had to on my '75.

As far as recommendations go, I recovered my original headliner, so I don't really have any experience with the aftermarket pieces.

·
Move Over Plymouth Aproaching Rapidly
2,096 Posts
Having done this on Old Blue, the process is just about like listed above. Getting it in the car is easy if you remove the rear side windows, that involves removing the rear seat and side panels. The hardest part for me was getting the new headliner tucked under the rubber gasket for the rear window and windshield.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Does your car have the bows or is it the fiberboard? They do not interchange.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Also, there is a good chance the hardboard backing is not included, unless the seller says it is part of it.

·
Move Over Plymouth Aproaching Rapidly
2,096 Posts
The replacements I found for the cardboard headliner looked to be plastic or fiberglass, and said they could be painted or covered with cloth prior to installation. I thought I was going to have to spring for one, but got lucky and found a good one in a wrecking yard. Prior to finding that I'd looked into converting to the older cloth and bow style, but found a number of differences I didn't want to deal with.
The cardboard headliners had a tendency to delaminate, especially in humid environments, and the paint on them flakes off after 25 years or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts