Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling my father's 1975 Valiant Brougham coupe. The condition would be a 4, if a 1 was the best and 4 the worst. It runs, but it needs a lot of body work. I believe that all of the original parts are there, and the interior looks like it is in pretty good condition from what I can see. It's got about 140,000 miles on it. I can post pictures if need be. We are looking to sell it to someone that would be interested in restoring it to its original condition, but I need an idea as to what to set the price at. Thanks.

Best picture i could find with short notice. This is from a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Typically cars are rated on a 1 - 6 scale; 1 being a museum piece and 6 being a parts car. Most show cars fall into the 2-3 category and a 4, while driveable, needs work. A 5 is a non-running but restorable car. That being said your car probably falls into the 4(-) category since it runs but needs a lot of work.

Value will depend upon a few other factors. Is it rusty? Do the brakes work? A Brougham should be a well optioned car. Does it have AC and does it work? Being a 2-door helps but the mint green paint....not so much. The engine will be a big factor. Slant 6 and your probably looking at a $950 - $1900 range. A 318 V8 under the hood will boost that range up to $1500 - $2800, maybe even more to the right buyer as the basis for a nice hot rod.

Hard to say without seeing it.

·
Super Moderator
32,318 Posts
The motor is worth more than that. Let's get details so we can give him a better idea of it.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Sculley. I know selling a parents car can be emotional. The NADA older car guide has a four door Brougham with a V8 and A/C high retail at $3450. My guess is that is for a level three car The 2dr adds value and I don't know if the green hurts because it has become a cult color here. The 2dr is a big thing.

My guess is that $4200 less what ever it takes to get it to level 3 is the value of the car and less 30% is an expected selling price.

Now if it takes $3500 dollars to do the paint and freshen the interior and and $2500 for the motor and $800 for tires an brakes and you get another 20 years out of it. It may pay to keep it.

I would ask $1500 and be happy with anything above $800.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My father had wanted to restore it after he retired but it's been ten years since then, and he's decided that with everything else he's working on, he's not going to get to it. The car runs, but Toronto's salty road winters have taken their toll. That being said, there are no structural concerns caused by rust damage. It did not come with AC, but it does have bucket seats, and the original hub caps match the green paint on the body. I've actually never seen these type of hub caps in any photos anywhere. We have all four. (There are not pictured on the car in the photo above.) Engine is a Slant 6. Thank you for you replies thus far.

Some more photos that were taken last week. Not the greatest lighting. Sorry, it's stuck in the back of the garage right now.

Despite some oxidization, it looks pretty clean inside.

My dad did keep it roadworthy and in good shape over the years. He did this back in the 80's I believe.

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
The color keyed wheelcovers were standard with the Valiant Brougham and Dart Special Edition Packages. The rust is going to hurt the value, even if it's not structural. But A bodies are pretty hot right now.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Rust will hurt the value some, but the interior looks like it just needs a good cleaning, rather than being redone. It can be more expensive and time consuming to find interior parts than to do body work, so that is a plus. Also, the green color shouldn't really make much difference at this point. Back in the day, it seems like every other Dart you saw was green. My Dad's was a green Dart Sport, with green vinyl interior and cream half vinyl top and striping.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
A little elbow grease cleaning it up will go a long way to help your price. You might want to consider having it professionally done if this is not your thing. Buckets are a definite "+" as they were not common in the Valiant. Rust on that A-pillar is going to hurt the price. Column shift? Speedo pegged at 30?

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
Your model is actually called a Scamp, with Brougham being its top trim level. But it may have been named something else in Canada, if that's where it was originally sold. It's essentially the same as the Dodge Swinger, with a different grille.

The '73 through '76 models aren't as collectible as the earlier ones. But everything else being equal, a 2-door hardtop will fetch more than a 4-door sedan. While I don't care for the color, yours is an attractive body style. The engine is a good selling point -- while it's not rare, it's reliable, easy to maintain, and returned excellent gas mileage.

That was the first year for the catalytic converter, which it needs to pass inspection in Arizona.

If the front end is like the picture of a few years ago, and not the bottom one, a good waxing and buffing should make the car look clean. If it still takes wax, that is.

If it runs, it's worth at least $1000. I'd start higher than $1500, say $1800 to $2100 or so. You'll probably get better results if you also advertise it in Phoenix, as that's more of a Mopar town than Tucson.

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
I don't think it's a Scamp. With the color keyed wheel covers and the velour seats I think it is a 2 door Valiant Brougham.

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
Scrounge said:
Your model is actually called a Scamp, with Brougham being its top trim level. But it may have been named something else in Canada, if that's where it was originally sold. It's essentially the same as the Dodge Swinger, with a different grille.

The '73 through '76 models aren't as collectible as the earlier ones. But everything else being equal, a 2-door hardtop will fetch more than a 4-door sedan. While I don't care for the color, yours is an attractive body style. The engine is a good selling point -- while it's not rare, it's reliable, easy to maintain, and returned excellent gas mileage.

That was the first year for the catalytic converter, which it needs to pass inspection in Arizona.

If the front end is like the picture of a few years ago, and not the bottom one, a good waxing and buffing should make the car look clean. If it still takes wax, that is.

If it runs, it's worth at least $1000. I'd start higher than $1500, say $1800 to $2100 or so. You'll probably get better results if you also advertise it in Phoenix, as that's more of a Mopar town than Tucson.
Some 1975-76 Federal spec Mopar cars and most trucks then were non catalyst i.e. the 318 with the smog pump, the 360-4V HP, 400-4V HP as well as the 1976 400 ELB engines.

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
My source was Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990, which lists Brougham as the highest-priced Scamp (it also lists a 4-door Brougham). Putting Scamp (and Swinger) in the ad should attract more potential buyers, even if it's not in the title.

I owned a '75 Tradesman 200 with a 318 that had a cat. Without pics of the engine, we don't know if it has a smog pump. Because the 225 returned better gas mileage, that translates to less pollution, and I agree that it should be cat-exempt. But did the feds see it that way? If the car was bought by the OP's dad brand new, and no changes were made to the exhaust system, he should be ok. However, if it was originally sold in Canada, their pollution standards may have been different from the U.S. I don't see AZ plates on it, so I don't know if it passed any inspection there. Perhaps some research is needed.

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
I don't think they still badged these as Scamps when they had the Brougham package. A case could be made that it is a Scamp and that it isn't - but it looks like the lower trim level was a Valiant Scamp while the upper trim level was a Valiant Brougham. Certainly would not hurt to use the Scamp term in the ad, more people would know what that is.

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
Scrounge said:
My source was Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990, which lists Brougham as the highest-priced Scamp (it also lists a 4-door Brougham). Putting Scamp (and Swinger) in the ad should attract more potential buyers, even if it's not in the title.

I owned a '75 Tradesman 200 with a 318 that had a cat. Without pics of the engine, we don't know if it has a smog pump. Because the 225 returned better gas mileage, that translates to less pollution, and I agree that it should be cat-exempt. But did the feds see it that way? If the car was bought by the OP's dad brand new, and no changes were made to the exhaust system, he should be ok. However, if it was originally sold in Canada, their pollution standards may have been different from the U.S. I don't see AZ plates on it, so I don't know if it passed any inspection there. Perhaps some research is needed.
Very odd that a 1975 Dodge B200 van for 1975 would have a catalytic converter since I'm almost 100% sure they all were above 6,000 lbs GVW which was a potent emissions control exemption even in California. It was the B100's that got saddled with the smog stuff back then since they were under that magic GVW cutoff.

·
Super Moderator
32,318 Posts
These cars were not badged as both Scamp and Brougham. They were badged as "Vailant Brougham" in script, but Scamps did not have a Brougham badging.

Reactions: floridaman2013
1 - 16 of 16 Posts