Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice I could get about fitting issues with putting a 1968 318 and tranny in my 1976 Scamp. It has a 225 in it now but Im wondering if the motor mounts will work...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi guys... I hope someone can help answer this. I recently bought a 1976 Plymouth Scamp for my 16 yr old son. The car has a 226 slant 6 in it but I found a 1968 318 and tranny that I wanna swap for. Will it fit in the Scamp or will I have to do a bunch of retro fitting??? I'm just a shadetree mechanic but I do have access to the necessary tools. Any advice would be greatly appreciated... THANX!!!

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
No. the motor mounts are different. Transmission mount is the same.
You can either swap the front subframe to one from a V8 car or use the adapters from Shumacher Creative Services:
http://www.engine-swaps.com/
A third alternative, though it requires more skill, would be to cut the ears off the slant 6 subframe and weld them in the location for the V8.
There's a good chance the car has a 7.25" axle if it was a slant 6 car. It might hold up behind a mild 318 but I'd plan on eventually replacing it with an 8.25" rear axle.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You can use the slant six K frame. You should plan to weld it along the seams, as the factory welds left much to be desired. Weld a gusset across the lower control arm to stiffen it, and put in larger diameter torsion bars, too.
Schumacher is a very good source for other parts, as well. Complete firewall seals kit, for instance.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
/6 is better for a 16 year old ;) You can try adding 2bbl carb from a super 6 set-up if you want a little more go.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
Cudapete said:
/6 is better for a 16 year old ;) You can try adding 2bbl carb from a super 6 set-up if you want a little more go.
Very good suggestion. The 10 or 15 extra HP from the super six sure make it feel much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sure appreciate the input guys. I think I'll sell the 318 and invest a lil in the /6. I know I'll need a different intake manifold. Any suggestion where to buy the parts I'll need?

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
I you want the factory Super Six stuff, just keep an eye out on craigslist or local swap meets. Another place is the classified at forabodiesonly.com though shipping would be expensive.
Used to be the stuff was everywhere and now it's getting harder to find, especially a complete setup with a rebuildable carb and kickdown (which is different for the Super Six than the stock 1bbl carb).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts