Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1976 volare that I bought new. It has 38000 miles on it. my sending unit has been bad for a while now and don't know how much gas was in it so gas went down in price so I filled it up. Big mistake had rust in the top of the tank. so now I'm looking for a new gas tank.
Does anyone know if 1976 and 1977-80 are different? I can find 77-80 no one has a 76. looking for new tank.

Help if you know or know of a place.

thank you

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I too have heard the 1976 F body tank is a one year only piece. Admittedly; you may be able to adapt a 1977+ tank but please don't quote me on that.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
The difference is one tank has a hump and the other does not. I believe the 1976 and the early 1977 cars used the tank with the hump. Since that is the case, there is a chance the flatter, later tank might fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a place by me Ravenna Gas Tank Renu-USA. They will bake a coating on the tank. Not only is the tank the only for the one year so is the sending unit. Mine is in pretty good shape so I am going to try and rebuild it.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Which body style? I believe that the wagon tank was different (1 gallon smaller?) than the sedan/coupe tank because of the upright spare.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My Demon had the same issues, plus leaks. A trip to a small plating shop to get it chemically cleaned and repaired cost me sixty bucks. Buy local!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts