Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Almost any brand of 0,5,10w- 30,40 oil.
Just choose a known brand and avoid the cheapest no name oils. These engines arent finnickly about oil.
- me myself would choose an xw- 40 hdeo like rotella, delo or delvac from the farm/ truck store.

Reactions: Liam Marshall-Stark

·
Super Moderator
21,692 Posts
If you haven't already, get the 1977 factory shop manual and the corresponding Mopar truck parts catalog.
Decode your VIN and verify the equipment (a 400 would be the J engine):
OldDodges.com (at http://www.olddodges.com/images/1974.htm )
The body code plate (TIN#) should be underhood(?) and goes into more detail about build configuration and equipment codes.

·
Registered
1977 Dodge D200
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1977 Dodge D200
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Almost any brand of 0,5,10w- 30,40 oil.
Just choose a known brand and avoid the cheapest no name oils. These engines arent finnickly about oil.
- me myself would choose an xw- 40 hdeo like rotella, delo or delvac from the farm/ truck store.
Thanks a lot! I think I will try the xw-40. Or 10W-40.

·
Registered
1977 Dodge D200
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't found ANYTHING on the oil capacity for my 400 engine. Does anyone know the how much oil I need to put in it?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Something like 5 quarts or so, you must use the dipstick to determine the correct level. ( not below min and not over max.)
Do remember to change the oilfilter also.

·
Super Moderator
37,843 Posts
Unless the truck oil pan is different, these engines were always 4 quarts plus one additional quart if changing the filter, so 5 quarts total.

·
Registered
1977 Dodge D200
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I purchased a Summit fuel injection system in place of a carburetor.

But my dumb question is do I need a fuel pump with the fuel injection, or can I get away without it?

·
Super Moderator
37,843 Posts
Fuel injection requires more pressure than the stock fuel mechanical pump will deliver. The kit should have details on what you need.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
What fuel injection have you bought and why?

·
Registered
1977 Dodge D200
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What fuel injection have you bought and why?
I purchased the Summit Racing fuel injection system, because when I purchased my truck, the two carbs that came with it, neither of them were the right ones. Carb No. 1 is a two barrel, and Carb No. 2 is only parts of a really rusted and pitted carburetor.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
ok.
- make sure that you get the kickdown linkage to work correctly, you´ll burn the tranny quickly without it and if it aint working correctly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts