Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently purchased (saved) a 77 Royal Monaco. I'm hoping to get some feedback about a startup issue it has had since purchasing about 2 weeks ago.

It has what I believe is the original 360 V8 and 2-barrel carburetor. The engine will fire up on the first attempt, immediately blow a puff of black smoke from the exhaust, then stall. I've tried to keep it running once it starts, by holding the accelerator pedal in various positions, but it will stall immediately regardless. It only fires up on the first attempt though. Each additional attempt to start the engine, the engine will just crank and doesn't fire at all.

I've replaced the following items so far as a part of routine maintenance:

Spark plug wires
Spark plugs
Distributor Cap
Rotor
New see-thru inline fuel filter before the carb

I've confirmed that there is spark at the spark plugs. When trying to start it, the engine cranks easily and the battery is only 3 yrs old and is fully charged. The new inline fuel filter does have visible fuel and takes on more fuel when cranking the engine. I'm starting to think it is a timing or carburetor issue, or possibly both. I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on what could be the cause. Thank you for your time.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Does it start if, after stalling, you hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking? This sounds like the engine floods out immediately. Could be a bad needle and seat or leaky power valve in the carburetor. Definitely a carb problem.

If you were able to keep it running by holding the gas pedal, I'd say that you had a bad vacuum choke diaphragm. That's worth checking, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, It will not start after stalling, when I hold the gas pedal to the floor.

Another thing I didn't mention in my original post - when I changed the old spark plugs, they smelled like gas. I can also smell gas on the dipstick when I check the engine oil.

Sounds like the carburetor needs rebuilding.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
If it's flooding so badly that holding the pedal to the floor while cranking won't allow it to start, it's getting WAY too much gas. Definitely the carb. Should be obvious when you open it up (or replace it, depending on your skills or budget).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you recommend a rebuild or a replacement? If a replacement, I'm not sure what would be the best carb to go with.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
I'd always recommend rebuilding the existing one, unless there is permanent damage such as warpage or cracked casting. Reason is, many rebuilds are done sloppily, and float levels are not set right, or screws are loose. Rebuilding is a lesson in patience, but is not hard at all. Just read the directions thoroughly before doing anything, and go slowly and by the directions while working on it.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
The Holley 2bbl used on the 360 motors of this period was the easiest carb to rebuild of any I've ever worked on.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
Rich mixture. You may see fuel dripping down the venturis after a starting attempt.
I would recommend a new plastic float and Jiffy kit, if they are still available.
There was an issue on early Holley 2bbls where the float cover would warp if the air cleaner wingnut was overtightened. There was a bridge kit to distribute the wingnut stud pulling forces. Later carburetors had a longer wingnut stud threaded down into the base plate.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
valiant67 said:
The Holley 2bbl used on the 360 motors of this period was the easiest carb to rebuild of any I've ever worked on.
Just be careful with the fuel inlet, The carb on my Cordoba was stripped and fuel dripped at the inlet fitting. That was a good part of why I switched to 4bbl, since I had to replace the carburetor anyway...

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Someone had to really try hard to screw up the threads there!

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
valiant67 said:
Someone had to really try hard to screw up the threads there!
The soft metal of the air horn got stripped out. Whoever had tightened it before me didn't use two wrenches to tighten up the harder fitting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to update this. I rebuilt the Holley 2245. After installing it the engine fired up and ran great. I was ecstatic to say the least. Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts