Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16 yr old son wanted to do a father/son project, and after months of looking, we ended up with a decent looking Aspen RT with a 318.
Original paint is white with blue stripes, and blue interior. Stripes are faded and cracked, paint is decent, with small dents and dings here and there.
The blue interior is where it goes downhill. Seats are worn and torn, front and back, headliner is falling off, console lid is just sitting on there, with the hinge broken, and the side panels in the back are warped and faded. We are really excited about the project, but so far, I have only found a couple of the many things we will need...carpet being the easiest to get I think. So, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Mainly, I would like the rear side panels, and seat covers or skins, or seats, front and rear.

·
Super Moderator
37,863 Posts
The stuff you are looking for is going to be hard to find. The carpet is about the only thing reproduced for the interior.
You'll probably have to have the seats recovered by an upholstery shop with an appropriate material.
The plastic interior side panels didn't age well. Some colors held up better than others (black and green did the best, white was the worst). Hopefully you can find a good set at a swap meet and dye them.
Hopefully the grill is good. They are hard to find and expensive for unbroken ones. The blue stripes are somewhat uncommon.
Still sounds like a nice car - there just isn't much reproduced for them yet.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,198 Posts
Ironic since white was the best for paint ;) I’ve had quotes, long ago, for redoing seats, and it’s not as bad as one would think, if you’re willing to give up a little fo the original appearance (and probably the stripes, sadly, given a limited budget). As valiant67 said, it will definitely be hard to find. There's instructions somewhere on Allpar for re-doing headliner. You may be able to use a hardware-store hinge, which I think was our Neon solution.

The side panels... I wonder if you can reshape them with a little heat, does anyone know? Swap meets would be easier, perhaps. Volare gear is not expensive, usually.

There are some junkyards that still stock this kind of car! Parts sources for Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, Jeep, and other Mopar vehicles (at https://www.allpar.com/i/mopar-parts.html ) has some.

·
Super Moderator
37,863 Posts
Some of these cars had a cardboard like headliner rather than the foam and fabric covered one. I'm not sure which is correct for this car.
The side panels tended to crumble away to nothing, especially the lighter colors.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,198 Posts
I’m assuming there’s no numbers-matching restoration in store, just getting it approximately right. I think your memory is correct in terms of two headliners. I will say there are tons of plastic trim pieces for Valiants and I suspect Volares are equally well supplied, if you hit the swap meets, carrying what you need to replace with you (carefully, so nobody thinks you are shoplifting their stuff) or at least carrying a very good picture in your mind’s eye. Again, the junkyards might be more helpful than swap meets!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input! I just figured out that my steering gear is bad, so thats gotta come first. I mentioned that this was a father/son project, but what I didnt say was that its my sons idea of fun...I grew up in East Tennessee, working on old cars, and these days, I would much rather be fishing than doing that...But I aint complaining. Not yet at least. When we get the kinks worked out and he wont let me drive it, that may change though...LOL

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,745 Posts
AllPar is a great source of knowledge and if you’re on Facebook there is another great source of knowledge and parts. Look up the group MOPAR M, J, F, & R BODY FANS.

The project sounds great, good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I need all the help I can get. Speaking of that, I have seen posts about K body, A B C and D body..how do I know which one is mine?

·
Super Moderator
37,863 Posts
The Dodge Aspen (along with the Plymouth Volare) are F bodies.
Mechanically they are very similar to the M body (77-89 Dodge Diplomat, 77-81 Chrysler LeBaron and 82-89 Plymouth Gran Fury). Some body parts even interchange.
They are also closely related to the J body (80-83 Chrysler Cordoba and 80-83 Dodge Mirada) and the 81-83 Imperial.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
You might try getting in touch with Mark Worman at Graveyard Carz. Maybe he could put you in touch with some vendors that most of us aren't aware of? IDK As for the Aspen, one of my brothers bought one brand new in October, 1976. It was an RT model. I flew to Detroit with him and helped him drive it back to TN. I ran the crap out of that car on the way home, topping 100 mph several times. It was green, had two different color green stripes, white interior and no a/c. Had the am/fm radio, p/s, p/b and the 318 automatic. My brother beat the crap out of that car and it just kept running. He'd pay me to do the maintenance on it and I made sure to stay on top of it. He was an alcoholic and beat the body to pieces, but I kept the drive train up on it. He paid around $2,700 cash for it (family discount thanks to cousin Stan) and finally sold it in 1983 for $500.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts