Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed an R body New Yorker listed for sale on Craigslist here in the San Francisco Bay area: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3655476959.html

I have no connection to this car, but it looks good in pictures, and something this rare should be taken care of.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Probably a 318-4V car due to the (probable) power driver's side seat which precludes the L/H catalytic converter due to floorpan clearance issues used on all 360-4V R bodies since dual exhausts were standard. Single on the 360-2V (non Calif) and smaller motors.

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
I believe only the L code (E58, HP) 360-4 got the dual exhaust. There was also an emission/high altitude J code (E56) 360-4 which should have a single exhaust and non of the durability enhancements the E58 motor got. Those 2 360 engines were the only ones listed as CA engines in the 1979 New Yorker brochure. Only the Newport got the 318-4 in California trim. Of course this assumes the sales brochures were accurate, sometimes things change.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I think that is correct.

Also, something else that contributes to the rarity of R-bodies in dual exhaust are a conflict with the dual exhaust floor pan and some issue with power seats. I cannot remember if it's dual power seats or any power seat, but a friend of mine added the extra power seat to his Touring Edition by modifying the floor pan, massaging it until the seat track would sit properly.

Obviously this was less of a problem with fleet/police cars, but I haven't ever run into one of those that was still on the road. I've found two junked police-package cars in junkyards, but never on the road.

It would be kind of fun to put the front subframe from a big-block Cordoba into a St. Regis and to drop a modern aftermarket performance-built big block in... good sleeper...

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
The hump for the second converter on the driver's side means there is no room for a conventional seat track (it ends up very odd looking, as in my 1979 E58 Cordoba) and no room for a power seat motor under the driver's side. Passenger side was no problem because on the affected cars there was no passenger power seat option at all.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
The 1980 R bodies that the CHP used did have a power driver's seat since the biggest motor certified for Calif that year was indeed the 318-4V with its single exhaust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts