Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I just bought a 1979 Plymouth Arrow GS, survivor car, in great shape. But she needs a new exhaust system. Man, is it ever hard to find parts for her here, or in the US. Any suggestions as to sites we can search, other than e-bay?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Welcome to Allpar.

In all honesty it's probably just easier to let an exhaust shop fab one than it is to buy an OEM or otherwise existing kit.

Plus if you feel like spending the money on it, you could go with mandrel-bent tubing, which would flow better than stock...

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. A 1979 Colt/Arrow/Challenger/Sapporo import parts catalog (81-690-1424) would give you Mitsubishi parts numbers to Google.
http://www.moparmanuals.com/mopar/main/Products.asp?check=1&txtSel_make=plymouth&txtSel_year=79&year=79&lstMake=plymouth&submit.x=34&submit.y=7
Some of the smaller mom and pop auto parts stores may still have their paper parts catalogs to look things up. Many parts may be impossible to find, but that will be the challenge.
The internet doesn't show much, but things show up from time to time. Put out your feelers. Try the Mitsubishi enthusiast clubs and parts sources.
Exhaust can be custom bent at a good muffler/brake shop if the original is still there for a pattern. Parts cars may be sitting at some salvage yard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TWX. I have a funny feeling, from all of my research, that we'll have to do just that. Have one custom made that is. From what I can find, these cars either disintegrated, or were used to make race cars. But this little girl is in such good shape, and is so darn cute, that I just want her back to the way she was when she came of the assembly line. I'm so lucky that the previous owner took good care of her, except for the last three years where she was left outside unprotected. And she has all her original parts which is great too. Other than the exhaust system, mechanically she just needs some tuning up. The rest is cosmetics...

Thanks Imperial Crown. I'm hoping that some of these 'mom & pops' auto parts stores are members of this site and will see and reply to my post. I'll check into that catalog. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Stainless is more expensive, but you'll probably never need one again. Regular carbon steel exhausts tend to rot out in about 3-5 years.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
You can try 'marty mopar' at Arizona Auto Parts in the Parts Wanted/For Sale or Swap section at the bottom of the forum page.
Yes, they've all gone from rust around here in salt-belt NY. There was a Fire Arrow 2.6L that our dealership sponsored in racing back around 1980.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a 79 Fire Arrow 2.6 when I was 16, in 1992. I didn't have my license yet, so I didn't get to drive it, but man would it do awesome peg leg burnouts in the back yard.
...yeah, I blew it up before I got my license.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I'll be having one made. And taking advice from "check fault codes" it'll be stainless steel. Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. Still, if anyone becomes aware of someone selling good parts, post your comment here as I'll be checking once in a while.
Thank you!
Sue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts