Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an 87 D100 that I'm wanting to do a 3in body lift (I would do a propper suspension lift but can't seem to find one online) and I just wanted to know how hard it would be to fill the bumper and exhaust gap. Thank you guys I'm new on the forum and hope to start a conversation I have needed for a while but no one else has seemed to ask.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hey welcome Allpar,

Are you lifting for ground clearance or tires or both? if you are off-roading then approach/departure angles are important. I would then consider making brackets to raise the bumpers but if not just sheet metal it in and paint it body colour. We might need pictures to help you out better. For a suspension lift you would have to cross reference a pick-up from 87 that has the same suspension as yours to see what's available (not sure if that will work)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey welcome Allpar,

Are you lifting for ground clearance or tires or both? if you are off-roading then approach/departure angles are important. I would then consider making brackets to raise the bumpers but if not just sheet metal it in and paint it body colour. We might need pictures to help you out better. For a suspension lift you would have to cross reference a pick-up from 87 that has the same suspension as yours to see what's available (not sure if that will work)
I'm not that concerned about the ground clearance, it's more to just fit some more aggressive tires and make the truck look a little better overall. I plan on doing 33x10.5x15 tires on it and from what I've seen the tires will fit after the 3in body lift and look like I want

·
Premium Member
20,163 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Had to double read your post to make sure, but unless you are going to simply raise the whole body on the frame, install spacers where everything mounts to the frame, the front and rear bumpers attach to the frame and a simple quarter inch plate to raise the bumper bracket holes and reattach would fix that issue, and having the exhaust end re-bent to raise it three inches would fix that issue. If you intend to raise the truck in another way, please let us know how you are going to do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Had to double read your post to make sure, but unless you are going to simply raise the whole body on the frame, install spacers where everything mounts to the frame, the front and rear bumpers attach to the frame and a simple quarter inch plate to raise the bumper bracket holes and reattach would fix that issue, and having the exhaust end re-bent to raise it three inches would fix that issue. If you intend to raise the truck in another way, please let us know how you are going to do it.
So I know I may sound a little ignorant here but is there any way to install the bumpers without welding plates? I have never welded and wouldn't know where to find someone to do it. Could I use u-bolts and brackets to hold it in, if not I can always look around for someone that is able to weld it on for me. And thank you guys, I'm definitely not the most knowing person but am willing to work and get my hands dirty. I hate how all new cars and trucks you have to have an electrical degree to change brakepads. (I know, that's not true but you know what I mean)

·
Premium Member
20,163 Posts
No need to weld, The plate will simply be as tall as needed to relocate the bumpers, use the bolts in the frame to bolt the plate on, bolts holes located three inches above to bolt the bumper to. All you are doing is raising the bumper and relocating it as high as you need and use bolts to hold it together. Quarter inch plate will be strong enough to hold things and it be safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need to weld, The plate will simply be as tall as needed to relocate the bumpers, use the bolts in the frame to bolt the plate on, bolts holes located three inches above to bolt the bumper to. All you are doing is raising the bumper and relocating it as high as you need and use bolts to hold it together. Quarter inch plate will be strong enough to hold things and it be safe.
Okay, thank you for the help. I'll have to post some pictures of the truck once I get it done and looking right. Hope ya'll have a great day

1 - 7 of 7 Posts