Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting no spark on my 2.6 L Mitsubishi motor. Have replaced all plugs, coil, distributor cap, rotor, pickup, and fuel filter just for giggles.

According to Chiltons there should be a Spark Control Computer on the left fender. Yea its not there. There is a large open area and holes you can see it could easily go, but it's not there or anywhere we can find.

This started when I was at a traffic light and it just shut off. Like no fuel or no spark. Fuel system is fine.

Help.....

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Get rid of the Chiltons and look for a factory service manual. The domestic 2.2L has the spark control computer. The Mitsubishi 2.6L does not.
Mitsubishi uses an 'ignitor' module inside the distributor. Diagnose first. OEM replacement parts can be important.
Chiltons and Haynes manual information can be frustratingly generic, misleading or just plain wrong.

Reactions: JeffVP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Allpar. Get rid of the Chiltons and look for a factory service manual. The domestic 2.2L has the spark control computer. The Mitsubishi 2.6L does not.
Mitsubishi uses an 'ignitor' module inside the distributor. Diagnose first. OEM replacement parts can be important.
Chiltons and Haynes manual information can be frustratingly generic, misleading or just plain wrong.
So that's different than the ignition pickup, because that's been replaced.

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks IC for the info and pdf of the service manual. I have the ignitor and breaker ordered and they'll be here next week. Just replacing both since it's only about $40 for both of them.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
In addition to what IC posted, there's also an igniter magnet in the distributor. I'd take the control module out and see if one of the local parts stores can test it. Back in the days of the 1990's when I worked for autozone, we could test them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts