Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...no power to it.

1982 lebaron convertible. Driving during a rainstorm a few months ago and the drivers side wiper decided to stop working and moments later the passenger's side stopped. With my experience earlier this year with my '84 I figured one of the plastic bushing fell apart and binded the wipers up. Last weekend took it apart and my guess was correct. Ordered a pack of bushings and this weekend took it out and reassembled it with new bushings.

Wipers won't move, took a test light and no power to the wiper motor connector. Couldn't find a fuse and according to the service manual it might have a fusible link. Anybody know where this link is? Where to get a replacement? How to replace?

Any other thoughts on what it might be besides the fusible link?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Not sure how much help it is, but if you go to rockauto, they have a listing of models which use this wiper motor, and it is everything from a 72 Scamp through W300 Dodge trucks and just about everything else up to 1984 in FWD, so sadly, without much other help, it gives you a list of vehicles to check your local yard for, but, in the meantime, you may check the power going to the wiper stock first, verify you have power going there, remove the wiper stock as a possible issue.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ok, first, Fuse #11 is the wiper fuse, same as my 1986, 20 amp, yellow. Do you have intermittent wipers or just two speed? Power in Low is through the brown wire, High is the red wire, ground is through the motor mounting bracket at the bottom mounting point (not one of Chrysler's brighter moves as it stays wet until all the water evaporates).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It has intermittent wipers.

The connector came apart with no problems so I had no reason to replace the connector. If I had power to the connector but the wipers didn't work I would suspect that it was bad or I didn't push it together enough.

The car is put away for the winter. I will check the #11 fuse when I get the car out in a few weeks. Didn't see it tagged as the wiper fuse when I looked the first time. Hope it is a bad fuse and this simple of a fix!

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
. . . .It has intermittent wipers. . . . .
With this vehicle and its wiring configuration, if the intermittent wiper module fails the wiper motor will still run in the LO and HI positions.

. . . . The connector came apart with no problems so I had no reason to replace the connector. If I had power to the connector but the wipers didn't work I would suspect that it was bad or I didn't push it together enough. . . .
See attached image that shows wiring connectors at the wiper motor. For the 1980 - 1995 time frame all Chrysler front wheel drive vehicles used the same configuration for wiring to the wiper motor. Base colors for wiring will the same with a possibility of a different colored tracer.

Use a volt-ohm meter set to measure voltage. Turn ignition key switch to ON / RUN position. Turn wiper switch to LO position. Check for voltage between BRN/WHT wire at motor and battery negative ground. Likewise turn wiper switch to HI position and check for voltage between RD/YL at wiper motor and battery negative ground. If you have 12 volts indicated then the problem is a poor ground between the wiper motor case and the body. If no voltage fuse #11 has failed or there is a wiring problem between the fuse and wiper switch or between the switch and the wiper motor.

Windshield Wiper Washer Wiring FWD.gif

·
Registered
922 Posts
I do have a couple of the intermittent modules I am not using and may have a switch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there any way to "bench test" the motor? I.e. taking a jumper wire from the battery and connecting to a certain tab on the connector to see if the motor moves?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
You want to be careful to put any motor securely in a vise or bolted down when you power it up in a bench test. Otherwise the moment will cause the motor housing to fling around out of control.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
. . . . Is there any way to "bench test" the motor? I.e. taking a jumper wire from the battery and connecting to a certain tab on the connector to see if the motor moves? . . . .
You can test the motor for operation without removing it from the vehicle. Take a battery jumper cable set. Attach black wire clamp to negative battery post. Attach other end black wire clamp to secure location on wiper motor housing. Make sure your connections are good.

Turn ignition key switch to ON / RUN position. Turn multifunction wiper switch to LO position. Does wiper motor now run? If YES then you have a ground problem between the wiper motor case and body. If NO then turn wiper switch to HI position. Does wiper motor now run? If YES then the problem is a ground between the wiper case and body.

If wiper motor still will not run leave jumper cable connected between battery negative post and wiper case. Take a 14 gauge wire and connect one end to positive battery post. Attach other end to terminal connector at wiper motor associated with RD/YL wire. Does wiper motor run? If YES then there is a problem with the multi-function wiper switch on the turn signal stalk or a missing 12 volt power feed to the multi-function wiper switch from fuse #11. If NO then the wiper motor has an internal malfunction in its windings. See attached image with pinouts of electrical connector at wiper motor.

Windshield Wiper Washer Wiring FWD with Pinouts.gif

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AllanC-

Thanks for the procedure. As the wipers worked before they binded up I am hoping the fuse tripped, if the fuse isn't blown I will check the motor and see if and go from there before I mess with the switch/connectors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the car back home reassembled everything, I was in a hurry to put it away last year for storage so it was partially disassembled.

What I discovered is that the wipers will now work in intermittent mode and low speed, will not move in high speed. At least I have wipers now. Probably worked all along, just moved it to high speed when testing it and it didn't move, plus I was testing the wrong connector fpr power.

You can test the motor for operation without removing it from the vehicle. Take a battery jumper cable set. Attach black wire clamp to negative battery post. Attach other end black wire clamp to secure location on wiper motor housing. Make sure your connections are good.

Turn ignition key switch to ON / RUN position. Turn multifunction wiper switch to LO position. Does wiper motor now run? If YES then you have a ground problem between the wiper motor case and body. If NO then turn wiper switch to HI position. Does wiper motor now run? If YES then the problem is a ground between the wiper case and body.
Allan C. - No matter where I connect the jumper cable (motor housing, gear case, copper ground strap) I still get the same result as not using a jumper cable at all. Am I missing something from your post?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
. . . .What I discovered is that the wipers will now work in intermittent mode and low speed, will not move in high speed. At least I have wipers now. Probably worked all along, just moved it to high speed when testing it and it didn't move, plus I was testing the wrong connector fpr power. . . . .

. . . . No matter where I connect the jumper cable (motor housing, gear case, copper ground strap) I still get the same result as not using a jumper cable at all. Am I missing something from your post? . . .
Jumper cable connected between negative battery post and wiper motor housing. Make sure connection good at battery post. Corrosion on external post clamp can interfere with test. Detach 4 wire connector at wiper motor. Take a SEPARATE 14 - 16 gauge wire and attach one end to positive battery post. Make sure connection good. Touch other wire end to RD / YL wire terminal on wiper motor. Motor should run high speed. Then attach 14 - 16 gauge wire to BR / WT wire terminal pin on wiper motor. Motor should run on low speed.

If motor will not run then make sure terminal blades on wiper motor are clean. You may need to use a small, flat blade screw driver to scrape each terminal to get it clean and bright. Also clean the mating receptacles to the wiper motor. These are more challenging to clean.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AllanC - Thanks for the testing tips, now have more questions.

Hooked a jumper wire to the red wire connector, wiper moves, same with the brown wire connector. Motor I assume is good.

Cleaned connectors, same problem, motor won't run on HI.

l tested the connectors for power. Wires going to intermittent module from cowl- red, blue, brown, green. In intermittent and LO mode have power to the blue and brown wires. In HI mode power only to the blue wire.

Wires going from module to motor- red, blue, brown, green w/yellow stripe. In intermittent and LO mode power to blue and brown wires. In HI mode power only to the blue wire.

Hooked the jumper wire to the red wire connector on the module and motor runs. Does that mean a bad switch on the stalk?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
. . . Hooked a jumper wire to the red wire connector, wiper moves, same with the brown wire connector. Motor I assume is good.

Cleaned connectors, same problem, motor won't run on HI. . . . .
OK. You have proved that the wiper motor will run in LO and HI speed when powered directly at the motor. It is good.

When you turn the wiper switch from intermittent or LO to OFF, do the wiper blades park at base of windshield?

When you performed this test did you have a jumper wire connected from battery negative post to wiper motor body? Did you try this test with NO jumper wire between the battery negative post and the wiper motor body? Did you get the same operational results at the wiper motor? Need this information to make a determination if a ground problem exists between the wiper motor body, through its mouting to the body of the vehicle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AllanC- Thanks for your quick reply.

Wipers park at at OFF on both intermittent and LO. Same result with no jumper wire on the negative post.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
. . . .Wipers park at at OFF on both intermittent and LO. Same result with no jumper wire on the negative post. . . . .
What we know at this point in testing.
1) Wiper motor good. Both low speed and high speed windings functional.
2) Wiper motor ground between case and vehicle body good.
3) Wiper switch is providing power to intermittent and low speed circuit. No issue with fused power through #11 fuse.
4) Wiper PARK blade is functioning.

Wiper high speed circuit not functioning. Issue lies either with wiper switch, electrical contacts at wiper connector in steering column, RD wire between switch and wiper motor, RD wire pass through connector at firewall.

Attached images are for a 1984 LeBaron but should still be valid for a 1982 model. Go under the steering column and locate the wiring harness for the wiper switch. You will have to remove an access cover(s). Back probe the #13 RD wire at wiper switch electrical connector and attach a multimeter probe set to measure voltage. Touch other end of multimeter probe to a ground such as the steering column. Turn ignition key switch to ON / RUN and wiper switch to HI position. You should have 12 volt power on RD wire????

Lebaron Steering Column Wire Route.gif Lebaron Wiper Switch Connector 2.gif

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HAD a good (Fluke) multimeter, admittedly wasn't very proficient in using it. During a garage sale when my wife wasn't looking it was "borrowed" from a hook on the pegboard above my work bench. Never replaced it.

Using a 12v test light-
Key on/switch off,
#11 power
#15 power

Intermittent mode,
#11 power
#13 power when wiper is in motion
#15 power

LO mode,
#11 power
#12 power
#13 power, slightly dimmer than others