Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Went a double checked the intermittent wiper mode, turned it to almost LO mode to get the wipers to move more frequently. Apparently there is no option to edit my previous post.

intermittent mode,
#11 power
#12 power when wiper is in motion
#13 power when wiper is in motion
#14 Power when wiper is in motion
#15 power

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
. . . .Apparently there is no option to edit my previous post. . . .
Once a post is submitted there is about a 10 - 15 minute interval afterwards that you can edit a previous post. After that time frame expires no editing permitted. This is my observation.

Cavity #11 has a wire connector and is powered. Interesting. So either the wiring diagram is incorrect or there was a design change between 1982 and 1984 (model year diagram depicted). This most certainly makes diagnosis more challenging!

a) What color is the wire in position #11 of connector diagram pinout?

b) Do the colors in the wiring connector match those in the diagram? ie. #12 BR; #13 RD; #14 DG; #15 DB; #16 BR; #17 BK; #18 BK / LG

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
My connector does not have offset tabs, it is a flat rectangle with a pointed end.

Colors of wires from column to connector,

#11 black
#12 brown/brown (2 wires)
#13 red
#14 dark green/dark green (2 wires)
#15 purple (wire on other connector this plugs into is blue)
#16 brown/brown (2 wires)
#17 black
#18 black

I have access to the '82 service manual and parts book. Seen a similar picture to the "steering column wire route" but nothing that looked like the "wiper switch connector" with the wire colors listed and function. What section did you find that diagram? I can borrow the manual again and check.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
Once a post is submitted there is about a 10 - 15 minute interval afterwards that you can edit a previous post. After that time frame expires no editing permitted. This is my observation.
Yes, I can confirm that. I don't recall the exact interval and if you buy an upgrade, it's usually longer, but again I don't remember the times...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
. . . .

Using a 12v test light-
Key on/switch off,
#11 power
#15 power

Intermittent mode,
#11 power
#13 power when wiper is in motion
#15 power

LO mode,
#11 power
#12 power
#13 power, slightly dimmer than others
#14 power
#15 power

HI mode,
#11 power
#14 power
#15 power
no power to #13 red wire . . . .
Disconnect wiring connector at wiper motor. Rerun the above test with ignition key ON and with switch OFF and switch in intermittent, LO and HI positions. Indicate which wire terminals have power as before. I wonder if there could be feed back through electrical windings in wiper motor???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I will try this.

I start my work rotation today so it might be a few days before I get back out to work on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Borrowed the the service manual again and found a diagram of the connector/wiper wiring. The diagram I have doesn't have numbers but the colors/what they connect to seem to match. The #11 connector on yours is listed as "to ignition switch" on mine.

I can still go retest with the wiper motor connector unhooked if it would help. Does it matter if I disconnect at the motor or at the "relay" that the connector comes from also attached to the motor?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
. . . .I can still go retest with the wiper motor connector unhooked if it would help. Does it matter if I disconnect at the motor or at the "relay" that the connector comes from also attached to the motor? . . .
I am suggesting this additional test so as to rule out any problem with electrical feedback / electrical short between the low speed and high speed windings in the wiper motor. I would expect your test results to be the same with no power on the RD wire when the wiper switch turned to position HI and ignition key switch in the RUN / ON position.

I am not aware of a relay in the wiring circuit. Disconnect at the wiper motor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Got out work early today and tested the connectors.

Cowl wires to "relay".
Intermittent mode
Red-
Brown- power
Green-
Blue- power
LO
Red-
Brown- power
Green-
Blue- power
HI
Red-
Brown-
Green-
Blue- power

"Relay" to wiper motor.
Intermittent mode
Red-
Brown- power
Green-
Blue- power
LO
Red-
Brown- power
Green-
Blue- power
HI
Red-
Brown-
Green-
Blue- power

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Pictures definitely help so thank you for including them. When you review and include a wiring diagram that is a few years either before or after the subject vehicle, there is always the chance that minor or major engineering wiring changes were made to certain components. In this instance Chrysler eliminated the wiper relay in the 1983 - 84 time frame and started using a solid state wiper control for intermittent operation.

For your 1982 model an electro-mechanical relay was used and it is located next to the wiper motor. Your picture of the wiper motor shows this relay. For some reason I remembered that I had a Haynes service manual for a 1978 - 79 Dodge Omni. I reviewed that publication and found a typical Chrysler wiring diagram for the era. It shows a pulse position on the wiper switch but no schematic for the wiper relay. In fact the wiring diagram does not even hint that a relay is in use. So that leaves us somewhat in the dark about how the relay is wired internally.

But you have indicated that the intermittent setting for the wipers functions correctly. And the intermittent pulsing uses the low speed winding of the wiper motor. In all of the service manuals that I have reviewed from 1978 through 1995 the wiper switch provides power on the red wire and that connects directly to the wiper motor high speed winding terminal. No other circuit is involved (ie intermittent circuit) so that narrows possible problem areas. Either the problem with no high speed wiper activity is in the switch itself or in the wiring between the switch and the cowl.

I have copied and annotated your picture of the wiring at the wiper motor and relay. I pose 2 questions on the picture and they are outlined in green. Please respond. If the RED wire is spliced underneath the taped area, that may be the source of no operation in the high speed wiper switch position????

Connectors at Wiper Motor with Relay 2.gif

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Black wires go to the washer pump and level sensor.

Hooked a jumper from the battery to the connector that goes to the cowl and tested the unconnected end under the dash. Had power at the end under the dash so no breaks in the wire.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
. . . .Hooked a jumper from the battery to the connector that goes to the cowl and tested the unconnected end under the dash. Had power at the end under the dash so no breaks in the wire. . . . .
What was the unconnected end under the dash???? What was the wire color checked for power?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Red wire in connector on the cowl side to red wire in connector that connects to steering column wiring under dash---- #13 on your diagrams.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
. . . . Red wire in connector on the cowl side to red wire in connector that connects to steering column wiring under dash---- #13 on your diagrams. . . .
With ignition key switch in the ON / RUN position, set the wiper switch to the HI speed position. Do you have 12 volt power on the red wire at the connector at the base of the steering column under the dash?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
No power to the red wire in all the tests I have done, including testing both sides of the connector under the dash with key ON/RUN and wiper switch on HI.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
No power to the red wire in all the tests I have done, including testing both sides of the connector under the dash with key ON/RUN and wiper switch on HI.
Conclusion to gather from this is that the multi-function wiper switch has failed in the HI position and needs to be replaced. Attached image shows access to the wiper switch. You may be able to remove the switch without removing the steering wheel.

Lebaron Wiper Switch Access.gif

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for your help!

What section of the service manual did you find this information/diagram. I was going to look for it in the '82 service manual in case something is different.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
No such luck on not pulling the steering wheel. Looks like the collar goes all the way around and I can’t figure out how to get the piece around the stalk separated from the collar. It will pry apart a little but I don’t want to force anything.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 44 Posts