Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 83 Imperial with a shade tree carb conversion. The 318 is equipped with a Carter BBD and a distributor with points. I changed the points and now it is not drivable , starting is no problem. Symptoms are rough idle and runs erratic with revving. I get 16 inches on my vacuum gage at idle and it holds steady. When I changed the points I removed the distributor to install , I did make a mark for reinstallation. The points are gapped at 016 , I checked compression and each cylinder is just over 100 LBS. The spark plugs , cap , rotor , wires , and coil all good. What am I missing?

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Maybe the condenser is defective?

IMHO you may wish to consider going with a Mopar electronic ignition conversion...............pretty much any 1973 up 318-360 vacuum advance distributor with the control box and ballast resister will work. :)

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Double check the firing order, and check the timing, sounds like there may be a couple plug wires out of sequence, or the timing is retarded from the sounds of it. Another thing would be to ensure you have no vacuum leaks. Hopefully you used a 318 intake and not a 360 intake, which have a tendency to be able to leak because of he larger port size of the 360 to the smaller 318 heads.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Stupid question, I'm sure, but did you reattach the vacuum line to the vacuum advance?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The factory carburetor conversion for the '81-'83 EFI Imperial was an extensive operation, requiring an almost complete fuel system, exhaust and intake manifold replacement. If someone just slapped a carb and distributor on it, the whole job should be reviewed and done right.
You may be able to find the necessary pieces from a 318 Cordoba/Mirada. At least update it from the BBD and points to a Holley 2280 and electronic ignition.
Dwell would be a more accurate point setting than gap.
http://www.allpar.com/cars/imperial/1981.html
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Year/1981-1983/Retrofit/

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Yeah, I agree with going Electronic. A buddy of mine was apparently quite good at getting the dwell just right on points-distributors including dual-points, and when he measured the best he achieved with points it still was not as good as an off-the-shelf Electronic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts