Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, THis will be one of those maddening first posts that knowledged folks will point and laugh at. Please bear with me.

I purchased a 1984 New Yorker in Excellent condition last spring. After a few road trips and errands she just turned over 45K miles. I have had sparatic issues with the temp guage ticking up then dropping and have long suspected the usual head gasket issue.

I lifted the head, manifolds and turbo off as a single unit and was very pleased to see everything sparkling clean, no carbon, no oil residue, etc etc. Only flaw was exhaust tracing from the number one cylinder to the closest coolant passage confirming gasket blowby.

Head was sent into the shop to be double checked for warpage, there was none. New gasket, stretch bolts, belts, timing belt, hoses, oil and coolant... and no start. Timing covers stripped off and timing confirmed as correct. Plugs, leads, cap and rotor replaced 5K miles ago. Fuel rail harness cleaned and double checked. Distributor pickup removed, both plugs cleaned and double checked. Firing order of plugs verifed with cap.

I am missing something REALLY obvious and stupid. Any hints guys? I am missing driving her!

Apologies, I should have added that I am a certified mechanic for leaky British heaps so am not your standard weekend mechanic. I have been working on Chryslers and Imperials as well for 30+ years. I've just never had to work on a four cylinder Mopar and am completely out of my V8 realm of experience.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome to Allpar! The first things you need to check for are spark at the coil and fuel pressure at the rail. While you're poking around, look for things you might have forgotten to reconnect... it happens. Also, pull your codes, http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/index.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy B10, Thanks for the welcome. I forgot all about the self diagnostics. Happy to report the usual 12/55 so there are no hints there. ONly thing disconnected during this was removing cap and wires, fuel rail harne, A/C harness and of course battery.

Does the 2.2 MFI have a fuel pressure schrader and I am not seeing it? Wouldn't surprise me operating on almost no sleep and jet lagged.

I guess I should also pull the power and logic modules and make sure no water made it's way in or the connectors were jostled.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have a TBI, so I have no idea whether there's a schraeder fitting... I imagine that there would be. The reason I suggested the spark test is because that would tell you if the computer systems are working properly. Without a rotation signal, the computer can't fire the coil or the injectors. So if you have no spark, it's probably safe to say that there's no signal to the injectors either. And since you verified that the timing is correct, that narrows things down to the distributor internals, wiring and the computer. If you have a spark at the coil, we know it's a fuel or timing-related issue. A little carb cleaner in the throttle body should get the car to kick over if there's spark, if it starts on that and then stops running, you're definitely looking at fuel problems.
One more thought... Can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the car to RUN? The pump comes on for a few seconds whenever the car is put in RUN to prime the system. If you don't hear the pump, that's another set of diagnostics. Fuel pumps can spontaneously fail. I don't think that's your issue, but it would be good to rule it out.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Check the braided ground strap from passenger side firewall to the intake manifold. You had to remove it to remove the head, and if it's not intact, the fuel injectors will not fire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
APologies for my delay is gatting back to your suggestions. No joy here yet. I have three grounds onto the engine. RIght block, fuel rail and upper engine mount. Power module removed, verified no damage to the gel and connectors cleaned and repacked. Distributor synh and reference cleaned and reluctor ring cleaned. New coil. I am down to the firing order not being able to be verified as I haven;t found a distributor numbering photo four our 2.2s. I have a firing order of 1 3 4 2, number 1 cylinder on the passsenger side, number one on distributor as left side closest to the block with a clockwise rotation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Situation resolved.... I think. My intermediate shaft has TWO timing notches chisled into the gear edge. Thanks to Bob's drawing on this site I found the second notch about 60degrees around from the first.

Now for the distributor/ignition lead placement. I have found pictures with two placements for #1 lead. I am betting one of them will be correct. :frusty:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Issue confirmed. Car started right up like she always has. Running a bit rough, but I have no belts in place or even an intake hose in place. I imagine the battery is a little low after being off line for two weeks and multiple start attempts.

I want to thank everyone fo rtheir suggestions and assitance. I imagine having two timing marks on an intermediate shaft is a new one!

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Cyl #1 is on the passenger side rear "corner" of the distributor cap while in the correct position, and the firing order is 1-3-4-2. You should be all set now. Remember to unplug the CTS while setting the ignition timing, then reconnect it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That is one beautiful New Yorker. Congrats on getting your issue resolved.

·
Valued Member
2,247 Posts
We had a new 1984 Chrysler LeBaron which my wife used in that exact color scheme with velour seats with a 2.2L TBI. Absolutely loved that car. When we sold it in 2006 it only had 30,000 miles on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts