Allpar Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
1987-2001 Jeep Cherokee Transmission Adjustment

by Pete Jackson

This is a transmission line pressure cable (kickdown cable) adjustment for the 1987-01 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) with the 4.0L and Borg-Warner AW4 automatic transmission.

Tools needed: Your hands and fingers. That's it.

1) With the ignition off, throttle at idle position (closed), depress the button on the throttle valve cable (right or passenger side of throttle body. White half-round button in a black jacket attached to the bracket.)

Pipe Engine Technology Auto part Metal

Mine was at the proper adjustment before I started this article. Nothing really changed when I did this.

2) Slide the cable plunger all the way in to the button assembly.

Engine Pipe Technology Metal Automotive engine part

3) Rotate throttle to wide open, let the cable plunger extend all the way out (or as far as it will go). Release the throttle release button, the cable is now adjusted.

Extremely short video of how long it takes to adjust it.

I purposely misadjusted the cable to see what the shift points would be like with it way off. Not fun. Downshifts only when plastered to the floor. Now they back to about 2/3-3/4 throttle. Right where they should be. Torque converter lock-up was way off too, Most of the time it wouldn't lock up. Now it locks after steady throttle is reached and unlocks when more than a slight amount is applied.

Vehicle Automotive tire Land vehicle Automotive exterior Hood

Trucks/SUVs
Jeep
Ram
Military
Engines
2015-2017
Forums

Home
Engines
Reviews
Chrysler 1904-2018
Upcoming
Trucks
Cars

Spread the word via <!--Tweet or--> Facebook!

We make no guarantees regarding validity or accuracy of information, predictions, or advice - .
Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved. Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, Ram, and Mopar are trademarks of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.