Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, me and my brother bought an 87 Aries coupe LE 2.2L TBI with 3speed automatic in great condition a few weeks ago, 64000 kilometers, all original parts except battery, plugs, wires, distibutor and disc brakes which were done by previous owner about a year ago. Have been wrenching on it since we got it, trying to sort out all the worn parts and small issues (hunting idle when cold and worn drums, mostly) so we can avoid working on it this winter.

Just changed the shocks and struts yesterday, when I removed the front passenger strut the hub and axle tilted outwards quite far. Where the axle goes into the differential about 2 tablespoons of ATF seeped out, I got the strut out of the way and scrambled to prop the hub and disc brake assembly back in place with a jack stand. I was very careful to not tilt the hub too far out when installing the new strut and it hasn't leaked at all since. Also the ATF dipstick read a bit overful before and now it's still a bit barely above the line.

On the driver side the transmission side CV boot kinda spat out about half an ounce of grease when going through the same strut removing gymnastics.

So, I'm wondering if it's normal for the axle to be able to pop out that far with the strut removed and should I be worried about a nicked seal and/or the fixing the CV boot?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,975 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. If the axle was still attached to the hub, it could have pulled out of the transaxle and leaked ATF. As long as it was carefully re-installed, it shouldn't have damaged the seal. Watch for leaks. If it remains dry, you should be OK.
A couple of tablespoonfuls shouldn't matter. ATF is checked on the dipstick with the engine idling in Park.
The grease coming out of the CV boot is not normal. The boot has likely split. If grease can get out, water and dirt can get in. The best fix is to install a remanufactured axle assembly.
It is important not to over-articulate or over-extend the inner axle joint. They can come apart inside the boot and you may get a vibration or shimmy afterwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

Alright, I've taken the time to clean the boot and inspect it while the sun was still up today, it is indeed cracked right after the small clamp on the shaft though it's only obvious if you push the accordion inwards. It sounds and feels like there still lots of grease in it and as far as i can touch and smell, it is not contaminated yet.

Since the CVs have presented no symptoms of trouble since we've had the car, I am considering re-packing the joints with new boots even if the conventional wisdom is it's easier to replace the whole axle. I guess I'll see what makes more sense once I hit up the local parts stores for prices, though it's my (possibly unfounded) opinion that the quality of the original parts is higher than a whole axle that goes for the price of a few boot kits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts