Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the original file for all the festival car's and trucks used at the 1987 Indianapolis 500. It list's all the Vin numbers and drivers. So if you have an 1987 Le Baron convertible and you think it may have been at the Indianapolis 500 in 1987, give me your Vin number and I will let you know If it was used at the 1987 Indianapolis 500. There were 1987 Le Baron convertibles of course, New yorker's, Voyager's, Fifth Avenue's, Dakota's, Large vans, Mini van's, Wagon's and 1986 Le Baron convertibles. Besides being the pace car driver Carroll Shelby drove an 1987 Le Baron coupe. There are about 250 Vin numbers in the file :) .

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I think it would be very cool is someone here has one of those cars. And it's nice of you to offer to check it out. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would be very cool is someone here has one of those cars. And it's nice of you to offer to check it out. :D
It would be cool if someone here has one. I'm glad to help. I can't believe I have the original file off e-bay. I wonder how the seller got it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We should do something before the records get lost. These are very rare and historic 1987 Chrysler Indy 500 pace car and festival pace car Vin numbers and can't be replaced if they do get lost. I am willing to donate my time and my records for the Allpar members. I don't know if it is a good idea to just post the vin numbers for all to see because of counterfeiters. What do you think?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the original file for all the festival car's and trucks used at the 1987 Indianapolis 500. It list's all the Vin numbers and drivers. So if you have an 1987 Le Baron convertible and you think it may have been at the Indianapolis 500 in 1987, give me your Vin number and I will let you know If it was used at the 1987 Indianapolis 500. There were 1987 Le Baron convertibles of course, New yorker's, Voyager's, Fifth Avenue's, Dakota's, Large vans, Mini van's, Wagon's and 1986 Le Baron convertibles. Besides being the pace car driver Carroll Shelby drove an 1987 Le Baron coupe. There are about 250 Vin numbers in the file :) .

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
These may become 'Special Interest' vehicles? Probably too new to really be 'historic'. Probably too old to show the 'selling dealer' or 'original owner' info in the Chrysler VIP Summary database.
The Chrysler Historical Society, MMCDetroit or WPC Club may have these records? Or Google Indy 500 historical records?
They also may not have been kept.
If they still exist, someone may know or they may possibly resurface one day?

·
Valued Member
2,253 Posts
I worked on prepping the ported cylinder heads used for the 4 (IIRC) actual pace cars back then. I was working in the Air Flow Room at the time in Highland Park Engineering Center.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
I worked on prepping the ported cylinder heads used for the 4 (IIRC) actual pace cars back then. I was working in the Air Flow Room at the time in Highland Park Engineering Center.
Fast Eddie, can U make my 3.5 Challenger like a real V6? :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have for the Indy pace cars for 1987 Lebaron, 1992 Viper and the 1996 Truck various NOS items

Included depending on the years I have

brochures, umbrellas, pinbacks, lighters, keychains, key FOBS, baseball caps and stopwatches

www.arizonaparts.com

go to the literature section and put in for a DESCRIPTION

pace

OR

Indy

that will show you what I have

I also have some tape stripes and other things in my parts section

for a DESCRIPTION search put in

Indy

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I worked on the fuel and exhaust systems. They had special fuel pumps and a special 2.5" low back pressure stainless exhaust system. I remember 3 cars in road Test Garage at Highland Park Engineering.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I currently own a 87 Dakota Indy 500 pickup.4x4 , 3.6l, automatic. Indy 500 graphics, numbered dash plaque, Purchased new in 87, 60,000 miles . In storage since 95. I have a complete spare graphics package for it. All the associated paraphernalia,( shirt, jacket, program etc...) never could find out how many were built!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I believe Dave Zelkowski posted a while back that he still had the spare keys to all 4!!

Thanks
Randy

From the DDG:
"I was the project engineer on the Indy LeBaron. Four cars were built, one is in the Chrysler museum, one is at the Indy museum and Al Unser, Sr. has one. I don't know where the last one is. I still have the spare keys for all four of the cars."

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
I have a 16 page brochure on the car that I could scan and send in for the article.
That'd be great

From the DDG:
"I was the project engineer on the Indy LeBaron. Four cars were built, one is in the Chrysler museum, one is at the Indy museum and Al Unser, Sr. has one. I don't know where the last one is. I still have the spare keys for all four of the cars."
DDG? Durbo-Dodge Group?

·
Registered
1 Posts
These may become 'Special Interest' vehicles? Probably too new to really be 'historic'. Probably too old to show the 'selling dealer' or 'original owner' info in the Chrysler VIP Summary database.
The Chrysler Historical Society, MMCDetroit or WPC Club may have these records? Or Google Indy 500 historical records?
They also may not have been kept.
If they still exist, someone may know or they may possibly resurface one day?
I have a 1996 Indy 500 pace truck..I'm trying to verify if it's original..or replica.. any help?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts