Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
Which side tail light are you looking for? I've got a junkyard near me that's good for old stuff. I'm going out to Carlisle on the Saturday, probably with my 87 Reliant Wagon.

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
I'll take a peek and keep ya posted.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got the taillight swapped out finally. Thanks again for bringing those to Carlisle for me. Took it for a ride. Got too much stuff to do, but need to get this ready for inspection, it is so fun to drive.

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
No problem! Glad to help.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Started it up and moved it today. Back in September the battery died and I hadn't done anything with it. Charged the battery and put it in today. Added some gas to the intake and started right up. Moved it down my lane and got it off to the side of my driveway. Got a musty odor, but can't wait for nicer weather to get this thing inspected and start driving it again.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Poor station wagon has sat too long. She has more issues than I first hoped, but I still want to get her fixed and useable. Registration runs out next month and I am probably gonna cancel insurance.

First order of repair is to gut interior. Floor is getting water, I am assuming from some missing weatherstripping as the car has just set.

Seats are good, dash okay, headliner is gone.

Can you still purchase the weather striping?
Is pre fabbed carpet still available or am I gonna have to get creative. Headliner, that will be easy enough.

Are the roof racks known to leak?

Rear passenger window in the back is plexiglass, any replacements for them?

Wish I didn't have so many other things to do, cause I really want this to be my daily.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
I have a 88 aries station wagon that has 88K on it all original, no rust live in Phoenix,Az. It is a one owner car and everything works. Even have the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I got my owners manual, but I got the rust too. I really like this car. It makes things feel simpler when I drive it. Got to get it fixed. Got to get it fixed

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
I don't think that a voltage limiter was used after the cluster redesign for 1984. The magnetic (balanced) gauges are run directly on 12v and ground. You can use p. 8E-7 as a general diagnostic guide, although there may be slight differences.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Found out the gas gauge works but not the temp. I see this car has two units One for the fans and the other for the gauge I think.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Congrats, Devildodge. I have a 1988 Aries wagon, but unlike you, I bought it new in 1988 and have owned it continuously. It's pretty rare now, so for my purposes, I don't use mine when there is snow/ice/salt on the road, and it's just a weekend driver.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Yes, low pressure is on the compressor, high pressure is on the muffler canister. Low pressure is marked in the casting next to it with an "S" (suction), and high pressure marked with a "D" (Discharge). But I would recommend against doing your own work if you didn't know that. If you charge into the wrong port, you risk serious injury or death.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Congrats, Devildodge. I have a 1988 Aries wagon, but unlike you, I bought it new in 1988 and have owned it continuously. It's pretty rare now, so for my purposes, I don't use mine when there is snow/ice/salt on the road, and it's just a weekend driver.
Thanks, I have neglected the car lately. It was owned by the same family since new, but it wasn't well taken care off.

I really enjoy driving it, but right now it just sits in the driveway. Got to change that.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Yes, low pressure is on the compressor, high pressure is on the muffler canister. Low pressure is marked in the casting next to it with an "S" (suction), and high pressure marked with a "D" (Discharge). But I would recommend against doing your own work if you didn't know that. If you charge into the wrong port, you risk serious injury or death.
Just double checking.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Jumped started the Ole wagon today. Fired right up, but the battery is shot. Drove it around my camp and just enjoyed having it move.

Got to get this thing inspected and drive the heck out of it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well, in the last month the squirrels and wasps decided to make the wagon their home. The wasps seem to like the mirrors and the headlights and the squirrels got nuts all through the engine compartment and apparently love insulation for dessert.

Just more stuff I have to address above and beyond what I already did.

Note to anyone that has a car stored outside that they don't use much...wasps seem real bad this year...be careful.

I just can't believe the destruction the rodents did.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts