Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ECM has a 1.5" ID snout routed to nearby engine air intake, and engine vacuum pulls air through the ECM.
. There is an intake port on the ECM itself, so it sucks in hot engine air, to keep the large finned heatsinks internal to the ECM 'cool'

The ECM resides atop the firewall, right over the engine, right over where the AC compressor resides/resided

My AC compressor has been replaced with a second alternator, a Nippondenso 50/120, with dual internal fans, that suck air from each end and spew it radially, right at the ECM intake.

This heat spewing alternator( which will frequently be maxed out in my application, producing tons of heat) would spew heat upto 220F right at the ECM's air intake.

I've blocked this intake, and attached a 1.5 inch flexible aluminum tube, that currently is routed to pull air right next to where the engine air snorkel feeds to, infront of and atop the radiator.

currently I have no rain deflector like the engine intake has, but that will change, as could the location of this ECM intake feed tube itself.

I do not believe the ECM makes any air fuel spark calculations based on ECM temperature, but could be wrong. There is a battery temp sensor code, but no battery temp sensor.
I have bypassed the internal voltage regulator and control voltage manually anyway.

Heat kills electronics, and the whole location above the engine seems asinine to me, as there is basically no hotter place to locate it.

I do not know how much longer rebuilt ECMs will be available, so I would like to insure their reliability/longevity.

I do fear driving in cold weather with a direct cold airflow through the ecm, could have it running too cool, or expansion/ contraction issues, causing that which I seek to mitigate/negate.

Long drives in driving rain are also a consideration as even though the circuit boards re potted, this potting cracks with age.

Any comments regarding my concerns about a temp Sensor affecting the spark timing and A/F ratio?
Any other potential concerns I have not considered with this airflow through ECM modification?

I might just have left it as is, if the second alternator were not going to be regularly spewing heat at the ECM intake.

I am going to cover the ECM with a radiant heat reflecting material.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Keep us posted has to how it all works out, how extreme is your heat and cold seasons? We deal with extreme cold season and use heating pads to aid in warming up vehicles quicker. For that reason have left the duct work alone so it will warm in cold and cool in warm. Is the alternator upgrade the reason for more heat?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts