Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A noise at the passenger side (right side) exhaust manifold led to a challenging removal process followed by the frustrating realization that it was cracked.

This was followed by discovering that no one makes an aftermarket right side manifold, despite Dorman still making a left side for my 318 engine and both sides for the 3.9L engine.

After calling around to local wreckers and coming up short on the part I took it to a local welder who welded it and brazed it level. Although it may not be totally level because there's still some engine noise on that side.

Just wondering what next steps you would suggest.

Chrysler sells a new part fo $800 CDN

I can probably find another used one.

I could take it off again and have it machined flat.

Any other options, or the best of the above? I'm open to suggestion.

Also, how important is it to have the bipass valve inside the manifold working? The spring is toast on mine so I assume it can just be left in the open position and pass a smog test.

thanks.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Cold weather drivability will be the most affected by the lack of crossover passage operation. It will also reduce mileage as the manifold takes longer to warm up, the choke stays on longer and fuel puddles. You also need to make sure the heat riser valve stays in the open position. Service manuals show how to rebuild the system.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback.

It passed a safety inspection and a smog test so for now it's gonna ride with the manifold it's got.

We'll see how things go this summer on the trip out west and I'll decide how much tlc to sink into it in the fall based on that success.

·
Premium Member
20,121 Posts
Get it machined/resurfaced for starters. There should be enough van manifolds out there to get a replacement, even if it takes a while to locate one. Hate to recommend something like a softer header gasket to make up for a poorly sealing surface, but it may be a temporary option.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my van in a San Francisco area garage to get some cooling system work done and I mentioned to the mechanic that I couldn't find an aftermarket right side exhaust manifold anywhere and Chrysler wants $800 for one.

He works on a lot of classic cars so he's pretty resourceful and he said he found one made by a small manufacturer on the east coast. He quoted me about $200 but I think I'll wait and see. The noise is quite low now so I think it's virtually sealed. There is a bipass valve incorporated in the manifold and this might cause a problem with cold weather starting but I'm not sure how much I'll drive the rv much in the winter.

He also said he doesn't use gaskets on exhaust manifolds because they don't last. He uses an oxygen sensor safe, high temperature, rtv sealant and says it works much better.

Google doesn't mention a manifold manufacturer anywhere that makes my exhaust maniold as far as I can tell so I wonder if they still deal mostly with paper catalogues rather than listing all their manifolds on-line.

Does anyone know of any small, US, aftermarket manufacturers of exhaust manifolds so I can try a more specific search in case the manifold gets loud again?

·
Super Moderator
13,928 Posts
Try even Stevens or Dorman..............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts