Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had my 1989 dodge Omni for about a year but its been in my family since it was purchased, and only has 39,xxx all original miles and a 3 speed automatic transmition. recently (within the last 3 months) ive been getting a check engine light out of random, it usually goes on when im driving (about 25) and let off the gas and just idle, the check engine light will go on and the RPM's will start bouncing around and when I slow down or go to stop my RPM's will drop down so low that it will actually stall out.
So far I hav
  • Cleaned the air filter
  • Cleaned the fuel injectors
  • cleaned and re-gapped spark plugs

I cannot find out what is going on and the problem is happening more and more, and this is my only car and I love this car and really need to get it fixed as soon as possible so if anyone has any idea what it could be please let me know ASAP.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Agree with Valiant. I think you'll probably end up having an issue with the AIS circuitry. The throttle body may need a cleaning too, but even if you have to replace the AIS, you could potentially be in business again for under $60. See what the computer says first, though.
The 2.2 is a very reliable engine, and most problems in cars this age tend to come from sensors and electrical issues. Fortunately, the 2.2 was in tons of Chrysler products from 1981 up until the mid 90's, and shares a lot of the electrical parts with the 2.5, more common in the later FWD cars.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'd also be replacing spark plug wires, which can cause problems after 24 years from new. Go with new plugs too. Take the cap of the distributor and see whats going on there, and replace it also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts