Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

new problem with my Voyager...

I can drive arround 250 - 280 miles per tank (!). Arround 14.5 MPG or 16 - 17 liter / 100 KM.
It runs fine, no backfire, new spark plugs, wires, air and fuel filter.

I have to say, i hav not checked the ignition / timing yet.

The car has arround 175 000 KM on it, A 604 trans (with horrible bearing noise, crap.)

Thanks again,
Kevin

·
Registered
517 Posts
My '88 3.0L dropped down to 16 mpg from 20-21.

Turned out to be a bad O2 sensor. Replaced it and all returned to normal. The sensor kept the mixture rich all the time, apparently that is the failure mode.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So....(finally) tried something, i replaced the O2 sensor, just like you said, also thought the same first.....but nothing changed.

It won´t take the gas as quickly as the 3.0 normally does, i use my Saratoga for comparison.
It smells like unburned gas after a harder start, no leaks in the fuel system.

Does anybody have some ignition timing datas for me?
I´d like to try an adjustment, has never been done after the timing belt snapped....

·
Registered
517 Posts
You didn't mention the belt before?

Did this problem start right after the belt was replaced?

If so it surely was not replaced properly, an easy thing to do and will cause exactly your problem.

Your manual will give the proper procedure. The worst thing is getting to it!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i found the car on a junkyard with snapped timing belt, i set it up right and put on a new belt and water pump.

I didn´t even now if it was running.
I checked the timing marks after a few tuns and a short drive, everything´s fine.

But i haven´t adjusted the ignitio timing yet...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Keep us informed after you set the ig timing, very curious!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir!

One last thing....anybody got some settings for the ignition timing? I don´t have any information about that...

Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
You need a factory manual set, lots of them on ebay at far below original price!

The info is surely available on the net, do a google search.

I'm away from home but will send it to you Fri if you don't get it sooner.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh.... (stupid)...found it online, thanks!

Yeah a factory manual is on it´s way, got one in nice shape, but i guess i have to wait until next week, at least...

12 degree before TD should be correct, thats what i found online.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I just now got home, glad you got the info. You also need the rpm used for timing.

You will be forever glad you have the factory manual, I have one for every machine I own - which is a bunch; too many!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gusc said:
I just now got home, glad you got the info. You also need the rpm used for timing.

You will be forever glad you have the factory manual, I have one for every machine I own - which is a bunch; too many!
You´re so right, i know! I used my AA Body manual a hundred times or so, pure gold for the hobby mechanic!

But i guess i´m running the classic 1989 / 1990 fuel injector problem....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts