Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1990 Chrysler New Yorker Salon, appeared to look every bit like the Dodge Dynasty but with Chrysler badging, including the grille and the tailgate details. What did you think of that at the time???

For 1991, however, Chrysler must have responded to critics who had complained that the '90 New Yorker Salon looked too much like the Dynasty, and that it had to look like a real Chrysler again, so they responded by just grafting on the deluxe grille (with the crystal Pentastar hood ornament) and tailgate from their other New Yorkers.

In 1992, certain parts of the body were refreshed... but those changes did not reach the Dodge Dynasty version.

Please let me know what you think about these facts,

Ben

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
Without a Plymouth "large" car it was necessary to have a base Chrysler AC body car since Chrysler/Plymouth was still largely seperated from Dodge at that time. Plus it continued the tradition of the departed Newport as a base Chrysler (which was offered in earlier years even when Plymouth still had full sized cars).
I honestly paid no real attention to these cars when new, but I wonder if the dealers complained more thna the car buying public?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I meant specifically is that the grille and tailgate details on the '90 NYer Salon was every bit like the Dynasty, except that the Dodge "gunsight / cross hairs" grille is replaced by a series of vertical bars, with the same Chrysler Pentastar logo at dead center. The tailgate details simply replaced all mention of "Dodge" and "Dynasty" with "Chrysler" and "New Yorker Salon" respectively. I wonder who was confused over these details back in 1990??

The regular base-trim 1988 New Yorker seemed to be to the AC body what the 1983-84 "E Class" was to the E-body.

Plus it continued the tradition of the departed Newport as a base Chrysler (which was offered in earlier years even when Plymouth still had full sized cars).
I honestly paid no real attention to these cars when new, but I wonder if the dealers complained more thna the car buying public?
Re: valiant67: Some people had suggested that the "New Yorker Salon" model should've been called "Newport." The same percentage of people also thought the 1983-84 "E Class" version could've had the "Newport" badging as well.

~Ben

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
In late 1991 I was shopping for my 92 Daytona, and a customer came in the Dodge dealership and looked at the Dynasty, liked it, but declared that it wasn't a Chrysler. The salesman was open about the fact that they were the same car, just different badging, and that he could sell it to the man for $6,000 less than the Chrysler version. The man hesitated, cocked his head and finally insisted that he 'really wanted a Chrysler' and walked out. Salesman and I both shook our heads. $6K is a HIGH price to pay for the name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts